forge / refractory ???

help a beggner out i can get a blown propane burner ill use a bbq tank i need help to know what refractory i have read about kittyliter& sand '' pelite''satinite'' acrytal something sand'' wooddust porland cement someone please advice me simply to make cheap and none toxic ive read wool needs to be coated some basic refractory if possible thanks up front also would any of the refractory parts work to anneal in ??

Edited by bruce

help a beggner out i can get a blown propane burner ill use a bbq tank i need help to know what refractory i have read about kittyliter& sand '' pelite''satinite'' acrytal something sand'' wooddust porland cement someone please advice me simply to make cheap and none toxic ive read wool needs to be coated some basic refractory if possible thanks up front also would any of the refractory parts work to anneal in ??

in the long run KAOWOOL IS THE LONG TERM SOLUTION it will outlast all the other products buy it from a refactory outlet and ask about the spray on coating use a ordenary spray bottle it mixes with water just cant remember the name of it off hand , the other mixes you will be renewing more offten and end up costing you more hope this helps you can also get a kaoglue to stick it to the side of your forge

tell

Terence.........(today started off perfect now --- watch sombody come and stuff it up ]

if it aint broke dont fix it

Bruce,

There are many threads on the forum that address this topic. Please do a search and you'll find a wealth of information.

In terms of the wool. Yes, you need to coat the wool. It is very harmful to your lungs if you don't. Again, lots of threads address this. Note the "advanced" link next to the search box in the upper right corner of the screen.

I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, but I would like to suggest that you'll get a better response to your queries if you don't use the condensed language that young people use when texting. While I realize that a lot of people who use mobile devices to communicate don't use capitalization or punctuation when chatting, it's hard for us old guys to figure out what you mean when you write like that.

Try this. Read what you wrote in the initial post out loud and listen to how it sounds. Remember, if there are no periods or commas, you just keep reading and don't pause. It's kind of hard to understand what you mean, isn't it?

Again, I'm not trying to be critical here, bud. This is just practical advice on how to get the most use out of our very informed forum.

Best of luck on your entry into bladesmithing.

Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

in the long run KAOWOOL IS THE LONG TERM SOLUTION it will outlast all the other products buy it from a refactory outlet and ask about the spray on coating use a ordenary spray bottle it mixes with water just cant remember the name of it off hand , the other mixes you will be renewing more offten and end up costing you more hope this helps you can also get a kaoglue to stick it to the side of your forge

tell

Hey Tell!

If what you mean by 'spray on coating' is the rigidizer that 'stiffens' the Kaowool, I've read elsewhere that that rigidizer lowers the thermal properties of Kaowool substantially. It breaks it down somehow so that it is not as effective.

To Bruce, I'd like to direct you to my forge building thread here:

http://forums.dfoggk...showtopic=17117

I'm no expert by any means...but I've done a crapload of research both on this board and on the internet, and am hoping to have any glaring mistakes corrected for me as I go. As Tell suggested I would advise you use Kaowool, Inswool, or Cerablanket as your main insulator. All serve the same purpose and are very much similar products, though I've read Kaowool has a better reputation (just hearsay there, no proof on my end). I think the going price is about $7-$10 per linear foot (it comes in a 2' wide roll), though you can find it for cheaper. I believe my forge took about 5 linear foot to line. Depending on what you use for the body, you could probably get away with less. You can order Satanite by the 55lb bag for $88 shipped, or pick it up from one of the smaller knife making supply companies around, although I've found that shipping times with some of those shops can sometimes be quite delayed. The company I ordered from shipped it the first business day after I ordered it (today), and it should arrive Wednesday. I'm sure I'll find a use for my 55lbs of Satanite before I know it lol.

Anyway...please also take Dave's advise to heart. I don't know if English is your first language (no location in your profile) or if you are even from the States, but doing your best to come across clearly really does help us help you out.

Good luck!

Cris

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast, fast is deadly... Erik R.

http://www.facebook.com/scorpionforge

i started by using a homemade refractory cement but it kept falling apart and the whole thing cracked on me. I then went with kowool and a plistix 900f coating and a fire brick on the bottom. I haven't had to do much more than re apply some plistix if i accidentally make a hole. your startup cost will be a tiny bit more but it will last longer and there will be less maintenance. 019.jpg

you can see the fire brick bottom in there and the steel is a car spring that is about 14".

ps i know the lid in the pic is zinc plated it was fixed.

Edited by jason howard

"fire can be a tool of destruction or creation, the difference lies in the hands of those who wield it". me

I have some experience with the homemade refractories. Forget them. Generally speaking, they suck. The commercial stuff -- stuff like Kaowool, Mizzou, Satanite and Plistix, as others are suggesting -- works better, it's more durable, it's easier to work with, and it doesn't end up costing all that much more (especially if your labor is worth anything to you). Save yourself the aggravation.

i started out with the kitty litter and stuff ended up have to make numerous repairs before i switched to kaowool so i would suggest to go with the kaowool type liner bit of a start up cost but will save you in the long run

Nothing worthwhile can be accomplished in martial arts unless your spirit is on fire.

"Victory goes to the one who has no thought of himself."- Shinkage School of Swordsmanship

Start out with a Inswool or other ceramic wool for a liner and coat it with a refractory. As stated above, once the ceramic wool is heated to above 600 degrees and fibers that come off it are really bad for the lungs, wear a respirator if you have to deal with it, such as when relining the forge. Satanite is not a refractory but a mortor and it doesn't hold up well. You can coat the fiber with something like Mizzou or Cast-O-Lite. Keep a little on hand for repairs as needed.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!