Old Dog, new trick

Raymond Richard

Its been awhile since my last post. Been trying to come up with some new ideas. I'd get going on something and then just lose interest. This is the first knife I've completed in a month or so. My hand and wrist told me I need to take a different approach other than hand forging so this piece is 100% stock removal. The blade is saw steel that Chuck Brooks had sent me to try out. So far so good with the steel. The blade is 3", used bronze for the fittings, bog oak and osic with birch bark spacers for the handle. Overall its 7". The photo back ground is the same bog oak that was used for the handle.

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2429.JPG

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com

Hey Ray,

Stock removal or forged, same great result. I dont know if it is the way the pics were taken or if in fact it does but the handle seems to remind me of a shot gun shell. I like it. Wade

Wade

Jos et löydä rauhaa itsestämme on turhaa etsiä sitä muualta.

If you can not find peace within yourself, it is useless to look elsewhere.

Visit my website http://www.wadesknives.com

I like it!

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

Ray, you've gone scandinavian on us! :lol:

I really like it. Not your usual, but still you in some indefinable way... :huh:

Alan, I had to dig real deep to find the Scandinavian side of me. :unsure: I'm working on a second one now along the same lines as this one. Here's a couple shots of number one with a different background.

IMG_2439.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com

Ray,

If your forged blades didn't always look so superb, I'd say what the heck you should do stock removal. ;)

Enjoy your time off from forging, and get back into it when you're good and ready.

Do we get to see your take on a Scandi sheath in the future?

Mike

Ray,

If your forged blades didn't always look so superb, I'd say what the heck you should do stock removal. ;)

Enjoy your time off from forging, and get back into it when you're good and ready.

Do we get to see your take on a Scandi sheath in the future?

Mike, I just started putting another similar knife together. Once I get it done I do plan on trying my hand with a Scandi sheath. Not sure if I'll be showing it off or not.

Raymond Richard

www.hawknknives.com