Bladesmiths Can't Fly!

Geoff Keyes

Wanted to let folks know that I’m currently on the disabled list.

Yesterday, while on my way into town on the scooter, the bike suffered a mechanical failure of somewhat epic proportion. According to witnesses (and I don’t actually remember what happened, so we have to rely on them), something in the front end failed catastrophically causing the bike and me to careen across the road, through a stop sign (breaking it neatly into 3 pieces), and launching me across the handlebars and along the road.

My safety gear did its thing and protected me pretty well. Aside from assorted smallish scrapes & bruises (I’ve actually had grinder accidents that looked worse!), I broke my right collar bone. And, yes I am right handed!

So, while I’m pretty sore and bruised, doctors say that I’ll mend and be able to play the violin again.

For the near term (3 to 4 months), my bladesmithing will be limited to my head and sketchbooks.

Thanks all.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

That sucks mate! i know how you feel. I am/ was on the cripple list after I got surgery on my hip, so you get all the time in the world to tweak your designs. But then again, not being able to follow through with them kinda stinks. Keeping a stash of forged out blades to finish out if you get injured may be a good future idea. Or if you just don't feel like pounding out a new one. :lol:

Edited by bigfoot

"I have surprised myself with what I can make with simple tools when a definite need arose. I don't think a man knows what he actually can do until he is challenged."- Dick Proennke

Oh man, that stinks. A good friend of mine broke his collarbone. It was quite an ordeal. Apparently, while it is a small bone and easy to break, it's one of the most painful breaks one can receive.

Hope you heal up fast bud.

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Hey, I have a bunch of blades without handles if you want something to do....

I am just kidding. Wow that sounds pretty bad, I am glad you didn't get hurt worse.

Get well soon!

Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

wow, that's unpleasant.

the colarbone is a huge nerve center, so it's a huge pressure point, like your knee. it's like getting kicked in the stomach. it hurts more because there's more nerve endings compared to other places to pick up the signal.

i only need 3 things to be happy: my girlfriend, my forge, and fruit juice.

Casey W Daniel

ouch... i'm glad your ok

hope you heal up fast...

i usta motorbike around but i had a bad habit of using my head as a brake :wacko: .. last concussion i had was a lulu... broke the front of my full face helmet...and i remember the nurse cutting off skin from my road rash ...ofcourse on the side of my waist...

that was the last time i drove one..... now all they let me drive is the lawntractor.. B)

Greg

man sorry to hear that... ive broken my right collar bone as well(needing pins as the break was wwwway out toward the shoulder) and know 1st hand how badly it sucks...best of luck to ya on a speedy recovery...

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

im glad your still with us. i lost two freinds to bike accidents (and have cleaned up more than i wish to share). at least you had your gear on. but you know by the time you can go back to smithing you will have a massive pile of skeches and be foaming at the mouth to hammer them out. lol. get better quick

"fire can be a tool of destruction or creation, the difference lies in the hands of those who wield it". me

Glad to hear you're OK, could've been a lot worse. That just goes to show that Safety should always be #1 in the shop & out. I pray for your speedy recovery. We'll be anxiously waiting for the fruition of your artistic vacation. B)

Rod Hart

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Sorry t hear it, glad you didnt get a worse roadrash. Least now you can think about everything and plan out your first return piece. But get well.

just use common sense.......dude your boned

Been there and done that. I just wish I had a video of the looks on the village peoples faces when I did the hillbilly superman over the handlebars in the middle of the rice patty just off the Mekong river in Thailand. It took two years to recover from the wreck, my best wishes on you having a uncomplicated and much faster healing. If you question anything during your recovery don't be shy about getting back to the doctor and having ultrasounds or whatever is available to make sure you heal up right.

Geoff

OOOch excl.gifGlad to hear you will be OK..smile.gif. Make the best out of your fallow ..... Good to hear you will be able to play your violin again too.... It will be a good time to catch up on reading if you like to do that... I got to read some good books I probably would never have gotten to while I was down for a back injury... The back injury wasn't fun but I look back on all that idle time with some fondness.... Hope you heal quick...

Dick

Now that's not good :blink: ! Hoping you mend fast and straight so you can get back to hammering hot stuff.

Bob

Glad that you are basically ok. I've worked in health care too long to want to ride one of them things, except for that real neat three wheeler that out with the dueo wheels up front-sometimes. Heal well and be patient.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!