Hello All,

Earlier this week I had a visit from Robert Rossdeutscher from Illinois and he wanted to make up some Blister and Shear Steel for his reproduction work of Colonial Trade Knives. He has done a tremendous amount of research in this time period and the only remaining item to get to a true re-production was the steel for the blades. To that end I nudged Bob in the right direction as he did all the steps to get the final steel.

http://www.doorcountyforgeworks.com/Steel_Making.html

I'll soon be making four full "How-To" instructional videos for sale on Blister and Shear steel as well as Bloomery,Crucible and Wootz steel in the near future. In them I will lay out what is needed regarding tools and raw materials, a bit on history and chemistry, what to avoid and why and there will be finished blades (maybe a sword or two) showing how the final product performs.

Enjoy and Learn,

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

Ric, thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to the longer how-to video. Although, in some ways I hope I don't get bitten too hard by the bug to make my own steel. I have enough that I don't know how to do as it is.

thanks,

Kevin

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

+1 on the Wisconsin thing.

Great video.

Karl

a tall glass of milk... just a quenching medium for hot cookies.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest faerrleah

I watched the video and I am really impressed with it. You have done great work as usual. I've been following your Youtube video with great interest.

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the 2 part video,especially the commentary,"what are you making bob?"like you woke up and found some guy in your shop.Ill be purchasing the blister/shear steel video for sure,thanks ric.

Your on the list Mark...the Video..will have that youtube video as a chapter along with what Bob made from the shear steel.

AND

The full video is a complete reshoot with far more information and some other methods for doing this.

Should be out in December of this year.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI