Keep the pictures comming that is one nice piece of work.

If i come to Lanark can i hold it in my hand!

Bob

Sweet sword Jeff! Didn't your Mother ever teach you not to stand on chairs in Crocs?! :P Shame I don't have the spare time to go up and visit you.

That is a damn fine viking blade sir! One to make Egil Skallagrimsson proud, most impressed by this. Uff Dah!

Outstanding work sir!

The old steel and iron seem to give it some character not seen with modern alloys. It would be nice to see a high res closeup of the steel.

Beautiful proportions, too.

Thanks everyone!

Keep the pictures comming that is one nice piece of work.

If i come to Lanark can i hold it in my hand!

Bob

absolutly bob. I was just actually up in you neck o the woods this weekend.

Jeff'

this is really turning out nice....

Question: how do those pins work that are holding the pommel ? are they tapered ? I'm wondering how they are fixed.. I assume they will be flush when finished?

Thanks,

Dick

[/quote

Hi richard. The pins will be trimmed then peened over on top of copper washers. They will not be flush but domed so they will be gentle.

Outstanding work sir!

The old steel and iron seem to give it some character not seen with modern alloys. It would be nice to see a high res closeup of the steel.

Beautiful proportions, too.

Thanks! sadly I cant yet afford a high res camera. The old steel does lend quite abit to the surface. My first polish I ended on 600 grit dry and the whole surface was a bright burnished chromed look. I hated that , as it didnt do anything for the steel. I re polished with 600 grit using vegie oil and the surface opened up. I could see more of the micro fine inclusions in the steet, and the blade turned a rich greyish luster added loads more contrast to the wrought.

Cheers Jeff

Edited by J. Helmes

that is lovely.

lately, we have been getting pretty good insights into our fellows' foot gear. The in-progress picture on workbench with own feet in lower left hand corner seems to be a standard pose for all really interesting and comlex pieces.

Bladesmiths seen to go for less traditional foot gear, also.

we want more pics (feet optional)! this is a beauty.

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)
  • 3 weeks later...

I recently started a facebook page to keep postings on my work, as it's difficult to keep up on so many forums.There are some progress shots of this particular sword on it.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Jeff-Helmes-Bladesmith/145872495425436?ref=ts

cheers Jeff

Edited by J. Helmes
  • 2 months later...

Most of the scabbard pieced ready for final carving and leather tooling. Been really busy this last three months and havernt goten to commit to anything ouside of pre winter preparations lately.

Cheers Jeff camera066.jpg

Edited by J. Helmes

NOICE. :)

Well said!!

Greg