Help with some runes

Grant Dorangrichia

I know that there are folks here that can help me out with this. A customer sent me this pic to make him a pendant and I just wanted to double check the runes for him. Just with a quick look online I can't seem to make sense of the runes he has on there.

Thanks!

Grant

34185_138344199517701_100000263656309_301641_5840440_n.jpg

looks like

Raido

Tyr

??? (maybe Uruz?)

Laguz

Kaen (murkstave)

Hagalaz

Tyr

i can take a crack at what it's supposed to mean if you'd like.

Edited by C Daniel

i only need 3 things to be happy: my girlfriend, my forge, and fruit juice.

Casey W Daniel

yeah, they're drarvish (cirth runes) from tolkein. i read it as B-R-O-T-S-E-R : i'd guess he's trying to write brother - to do that, you'd reverse the fourth rune, turning the t into a th, and remove the fith rune (s). there are also a different set of runes in the hobbit, which tolkein used for transliterating english. it would be worth checking to see what he wants it to say - there are a lot of tolkein language geeks out there these days...

Jake Cleland - Skye Knives

www.knifemaker.co.uk

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

OK, he is trying to say brother. He went to the hobbit site http://derhobbit-film.de/rune_generator.shtml#rune and if you click the cirth runes it does come out as he has it. But thats not what you guys are coming up with, frankly I trust you folks more than the website,lol.

So Jake your saying it should look like this but with the 4th rune reversed?

Thanks! Grant

runes.php.png

Edited by Grant Dorangrichia

• 1 month later...

Grant, I would think if he wanted it to say brother... use Berkan (B.), raido(R.), Othila(O), Thurisaz(TH), ehwaz(E), Raido(R.)

but that it just my take.

Edited by Pat B

Gnáthamh na hoibre an t-eólas

(Knowledge comes through practice)

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion. - Morihei Ueshiba

my site: http://lfcforgeworks.webs.com/

It's good to get familiar with the various rune rows out there if your beard's burning bright. Many of us first saw them in Tolkien, which are fine for fantasy's sake. There's several notable historical rows: the Elder, the Younger and the Anglo-Saxon. The Elder was primarily used by early Germanic tribes, pre-dating the Viking Age and during the Migration Era. Unusually, in terms of written languages, by the time the Viking Age arrives, the rune row goes from 24 runes to 16- and it becomes a bit trickier to decipher things as one rune now often stands for multiple sounds. This is the rune row to work with for Old Norse and the Viking Age. For writing in modern English I recommend the Anglo-Saxon rune row, because it has additional runes for common English sounds surviving today, and because Old English is the language it is designed for, with many modern English words surviving unchanged.

I recommend any books by Edred Thorsson / Stephen Flowers, who approaches Runes from both a mystical and highly academic perspective.

Thanks for the added suggestions. He ended up specifically wanting the Tolkien runes so that's what I'll use. As long as it says what he wants in SOME sort of runes I guess I can be happy with them :)

Thanks for the book suggestions, I'll definitely check some out to add to my reference library.

Thanks!

Grant