Sign in to follow this  
sethhoward

Brownells Bluing salts for quenching?

I am trying to purchase low temp salts with no luck. I have seen where others have used the bluing salts from Brownells. Has anyone every tested them or seen a spec sheet to confirm that they will indeed do the job properly?

I guess I could also ask if anyone has a line on salts other that Ellis Custom Knifeworks? They are out.

Seth

Edited by sethhoward

Yes, the Brownell's product you want is called "Nitre Blue". It is not identical to "Mar-Quench B" from HeatBath, but it is very very near the same. The melting point is slightly higher, with liquidus at aprox. 390F

Do not get Oxynate salt. It is for caustic gun bluing (hot black oxide), and is not at all the same thing.

Thank you very much Mr. Clark.

Seth

I use Brownell's Nitre Blue as a quenchant and have bought the plastic pails from Brownells to fill my tank. Can't say enough good stuff about it. ;)

It is expensive (it was expensive years ago) but it has lasted for many years now so it was really cheap. We are going on 11 years with the same salts in the quench tank. B)

What job are you trying to do?

Brian

Edited by Brian Vanspeybroeck

Marquenching and tempering for O1 and 8670. Tempering for 10XX and W2.

20 pounds enough?

Seth

I use an 18 quart roaster oven as a quench/temper tank. It is about 3/4 full of NitreBlue and it took me about 2 full 20 pound pails of salt to get it filled to this level.

Very heavy to move as the salt is fairly dense. The good thing is that 35 - 40 lbs of molten salt has enough mass that once it settles in at temp. it *stays* at temp. Usually less than a 5 degree drift as it cycles over a long hold for austempering. Expensive to fill but it lasts a long time. The lid of the oven has a hole near the middle and I slide a high temp thermometer in there and can monitor my temp. with the whole thing closed up.

With new NitreBlue it has a pink color to it in the pail and you have to melt it and then skim the pink scum off the top...so you lose a little volume this way. Also you should have a little extra as there is always drag out and over a period of years you will need to top it off every so often. And like everything else that is granular it seem to shrink in volume as it melts down...I was surprised it took 40 pounds of salt to make the tank 3/4 full but a single 20 lb pail only gave me a like 4 or 5 inches of salt in the tank.

You might consider filling the bottom of the tank with something dense (Rocks? Glass Beads?) to get thermal mass and then using less salt. Seems I tried that once for a while and it works just fine...used to temper in hot sand in the roaster oven and that works really well for 10XX as well. B)

Brian

Edited by Brian Vanspeybroeck

Well fiddle sticks! I should have ordered more. I could have saved $25 by going ahead and getting two buckets at the same time. I thought one would be all I needed. You think I would learn about all that thinking ; )

Thanks both of you for the info.

Seth

Well fiddle sticks! I should have ordered more. I could have saved $25 by going ahead and getting two buckets at the same time. I thought one would be all I needed. You think I would learn about all that thinking ; )

Thanks both of you for the info.

Seth

If you need the salts, you can make them easily. See the recipe at the beginning or google MIL-S-10699. As an alternative, you could also try contacting Houghton customer service.