Good Deal on Surface Grinder

Well Congrats to all you guys. What a steal.Its not to bad with the manual feed. But keep us posted if anyone figures out how to do a power feed conversion. I'm going to do the grinding belt conversion to mine soon. You all should order the stand also. Otherwise you will not be able to use the machine until you build one. You can't just set it on a flat table. There is a counter weight in the column, that when you raise the head it lowers, and it hangs down past the bottom of the machine. The stand has a hole cut out in it, that the weight lowers thru.

And its a nice strong stand. And I have the stand on a roller base from grizzly. Its a nice little machine. Wish I got it for that price.

Tony G

I'm not sure about the magnetic chuck that they sell. I know someone that bought an import from ebay and it was crap. Howevet I bought a nice used Walker caremax magnetic chuck on ebay for $85.00.

I own that magnetic chuck for use on my milling machine. It's okay, but just okay. Not as strong as I'd like it to be, but it works for most things.

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

If your magnetic chuck is NOT strong enough you can try using some 1/8" sheet layed flat & butted up against and surrounding the pieces you are grinding... the large surface area of the sheet may stick good enough to keep everything in place ... It's has worked for me when I've had stuff move around on me..

Dick

The main difference to the Grizzly one is that it comes without a stand. The price still seems to be too cheap to be true. And if it was a mistake in the first place, why would it come back down?

Niels.

So much for back ordered.It arrived this morning with no warning.Im happy its here but now I have to get some help to move it into the shop.I was told by phone conversation not to expect it to arrive for 3-4 weeks.I guess they found one in a warehouse or something.Be forewarned that they are shipping these in freight trucks with no lift gates.Im lucky my pick-up sits so high or else I dont know how we would have gotten it out of the truck.I'll post some pics once its set-up.Thanks again Dave!!!!

PS.Converting this to power feed should not be very difficult,once its set-up I'll be able to see how to convert it and will post some updates.

N'T McAhron Sqwaukin Vulture Verrinder

"to create is to make art"

TREMBLING EARTH KNIFE WORKS (website coming soon)

My all time favorite Harbor Freight product is there 2 ton folding crane...With this you can eaisly move the machine by yourslf [get some lifting straps also while at HF]..It folds small and at under $200 is a bargin...Also remember that many magazines have HF adds with 20% off coupons.

HF also has a long vise-grip type plier that makes a nifty tongs for small parts..

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain

Oh well,

It was too good to be true. :angry: Got a post card from HF saying they cancelled

my order because the manufacturer couldn't supply any more. Carp!! :(

Hope you others got your machines, not cancellations.

Bill

Edited by Bill Hoffman