Wrought iron/ steel faced forging hammers

Hey, first off if this is in the wrong section feel free to let me know or fix it if you have holy forum powers..

Anyway, I have a fair amount of larger wrought iron stock that I can upset on my press into hammer sized chunks, in the 3-4lb range. I was wondering if they would sell to any of you makers here, as I'll set out to make a batch if I get a few potential buyers together

The price for a hammer with handle would vary depending on style, but for a simple cross or straight pein with welded steel faces would be somewhere around 75$.

dog style hammers would be a little less.

Hammers would come handled, or without depending on customers orders, and prices could be figured out for custom orders.

If there is in fact a group of interested people, I'll make a few over the next week or two depending on demand.

I can make cutler hammers, cross, straight, and diagnol peins.. and pretty much whatever else you may want..

Thanks

I'd be interested in seeing your japanese style forging hammer design before I ask you to make one. Eveyone makes hammers differently and I like good looking designs that are functional as well.

just use common sense.......dude your boned

how much for a just 4lb straight pein with no handle? and how big will your eye be? if they are about 1x1 1/4 that would be awesome! (that way the fit the mcmaster carr hammer handles :lol:)

EDIT: can you weld in a steel pein as well, or will it raise the price? I can make cutlers hammers, but peins seem beyond me (they are off center :lol:)

Edited by bigfoot

"I have surprised myself with what I can make with simple tools when a definite need arose. I don't think a man knows what he actually can do until he is challenged."- Dick Proennke

how much for a just 4lb straight pein with no handle? and how big will your eye be? if they are about 1x1 1/4 that would be awesome! (that way the fit the mcmaster carr hammer handles :lol:)

EDIT: can you weld in a steel pein as well, or will it raise the price? I can make cutlers hammers, but peins seem beyond me (they are off center :lol:)

75shipped probably, pein would be no problem, and since it would more or less be done in the same welding pass as the face, no extra charge

I too would be interested in seeing your Japanese style hammer Kenon. There's a lot of versions out there lol. For some reason I really like the design of the one Jesus Hernandez uses. It seems like it would be very ergonomic, and accomodate my style of hammering well. Plus storing your hammers resting on their face rocks =D.

Anyhow, count me in as very interested. Something in the 2lb range would be a beautiful thing. If I could order without a handle that would be even better...tool money is tight and it's gotta get past the wifey lol =D.

Cris

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast, fast is deadly... Erik R.

http://www.facebook.com/scorpionforge

sure can, if you own that could you measure the width at the eye an the face for me?

That hammer belongs to Jesus Hernandez. I'll go ahead and send him a PM and ask if he wouldn't mind sending me the pertinent dimensions. In comparison to the 5" face of his Sea Robin anvil, it looks like roughly 2" and 1 1/2". I'll see if I can get verification though.

Thanks Kenon =D.

Cris

That's a big hammer o.O

I bet your right, didn't think about the size of the anvil for a comparison tongue.gif

Thank you

Yeah lol...pretty large hammer. I don't necessarily need one that big, like I said, about 2lbs or so would be fine. I just very much like the wide face and overall form. Seems like it would help with flattening bevels nicely, and on big wide blades like kitchen knives, it would be a dream.

In the end, you're a far, far more exeperienced smith than I lol...use your own judgement as to what would be a great general use bladesmithing hammer, in the Japanese style...and I'm sure it will work wonderfully for me. In other words...don't worry so much about giving me what I want...I don't know enough about hammers to know what I want =p. That hammer is just one that really stuck with me is all. I mean, my only hammers are a Harbor Freight cross pein, and a Home Depot 2lb mini sledge lol. ANYthing will be an improvement!

Cris

Welp, these won't be wrought iron it ended up being far too much work trying to upset a chunk big enough.. but, I can do mild steel with a carbon face, price will be the same.

I'll get a few made here soon, my stuff for forge rebuilding is on the way :)