Sam Salvati

guy making scissors

Its almost like, only in japan.......and not as a bad thing either....I just love japanese craftsmen

That's awesome. Was searching for some, and it looks very similar to the ones for sale on japanwoodworker.com.

Holy WOW!

Scissors are tough. Hell I can't seem to even sharpen them correctly. There are lot of dynamics involved to make them cut well.

To be able to make the complex shapes with just hammer, anvil, hand and eye alone is truly outstanding.

Shoot he even forge welds tool steel to the main body in the proces.

I have made a lot of woodworking planes, chisels and such but would not think of attempting scissors.

As WMHorus said-only in Japan.

Thanks for sharing this one Sam

Hi Sam

same guys in this vid at the end... but at the beginning a knife maker

he quenches a knife and get a load of how that sucker turns into a banana !!!!!

( i have to admit.. i was swearing a little. )

then the dude taps it out.... musta been a steel edge/iron back type dealy :ph34r:

sweet vid on the scissors... i've seen some Persian ones that were nice as well..with dragons

Greg ;)

At one of the local conferences a while back we had a sashimi knife demo. The body of the knife is mild and a piece of carbon steel is forge welded to it and then drawn out. When they heat treat it it curves, since the hard steel takes up less space than the mild. Then they take a tiny little hammer, 6oz or there abouts, with a bit of carbide on the face, and tap the hard side to stretch the blade straight. Very cool demo, every hard to do right.

Geoff

Yeah the tapping it straight seems wrong but it works lol.

I've a kitchen knife I'd made in the very same manner, and it banana'd as well.

I was asking a japanese maker how he does it and he said he'll precurve it a bit, and then take the rest out with the wood straightening block and tapping it straight on anvil.

I gave mine a bit of a temper and went at it and it worked. Gonna have a few more attempts at it as my blade ended up a bit thinner at the edge as I'd gone to high with the bevel, but the sucker slices nicely. Few nicks in the edge though. Wanting to give it another temper if I can pop the handle off. Just wedged on.

I wanted a few of the other videos they had there. Some awesome stuff.

Few making blades, one was making shafts for arrows.

OOOOO nice forging demo EH ?tongue.gif Thanks for the link Sam . a pair made the same way but out of damascus with wrought and a toolsteel edge ...Hmmmmmm

I'll have to go back and watch the rest of them.... Very cool

Dick

This video in the same series (seems to be initial part of same program showing the scissor smith) shows the forging of a knife. Interesting as it shows some detailed steps in pre-shaping of steel and iron part of the blade as well as good shots of the forge welding.

Does any of you guys know the mix of materials used os fluxing compound? Seems to me it has finely powdered cast iron mixed in with the flux?

Would not mind knowing the components of that mix.... ;)B)

Good shots of hammer work as well :-)

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=handicraftsjp#p/u/123/nAX8e-X4U08

If memory serves right they've got boric acid (?) in the flux mix as well.

Everything about these is awesome! I couldn't understand a word of course, but the filming is so well-done that I didn't miss the narration at all. :) I've been wanting to try some scissors for a long time, I should just go ahead and do it already.

Ridiculous hammer skills..I liked how the smith was holding his breath for some tricky steps, and you could hear him let it out when the pieces came out OK.

Awesome video...thanks for sharing that link as it makes my whole day. Makes me wanna get in the shop and make something.

I have seen handmade bonsai shears and scissors that are truely heirloom quality/handforged. It is something we don't see much in the West anymore..people buying handmade specialized tools designed to be used for a lifetime and be precision investments that are passed along for the next generation. Somehow this appeals so much more to me than the stamped out/throw away scissors and tools we commonly see. It's kinda like when I studied swordsmanhip and true, well made/handmade Shinken were so expensive and hard to justify owning when you could buy a cheap factory made blade.

Cool stuff.

Brian

Glad it is inspiring, it is my pleasure to share my private stash. I have been diving youtube all day today, and found some gold I will put up.

Peter, you can supposedly purchase it here:

http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product/716365/Japanese-Welding-Powder/detail.jsf

I imagine shipping will not be too bad for you as it is here from them.

Wow, thanks Sam.

This was unexpected!

Great find.

I shall try this and return to you with impressions.

Thats actually got me thinking about buying some myself and trying out on the cable.

Sam , Peter,

That japanese welding compound looks kind of like the EZ weld compound that Centuar forge sells... I haven't used any since back when ... I wonder if it is close to the same thing?

Dick

Sam , Peter,

That japanese welding compound looks kind of like the EZ weld compound that Centuar forge sells... I haven't used any since back when ... I wonder if it is close to the same thing?

Dick

I have a can of EZ weld, If only I wasn't poor as dirt i'd order some of the other stuff! I remember it being darker, i'll look this weekend.