Alan Longmire

Tomahawk bouquet

Well, it's been a long slow slog, but I finally finished a commission that's been kicking my rear all summer. :wacko:

A friend (and good customer!) asked me back in April to make him a spike axe for the best man in his upcoming wedding, and I did so. Then he called me on June 8 and asked if I could make a set of hawks for the rest of the groomsmen, to which I said "Sure, no problem!" Then he said "Can you have 'em by the wedding? It's on the 26th." "Of June?" I said :blink: .

Only a month and a week or two late, here they are.

Wrapped mild steel with 1090 bits, filed octagonal at the eye, hand polished to 400 grit, and engraved. Presentation grade curly maple stained with aquafortis.

Hanger loop made from mild steel.

As always, thanks for looking!

mewh group rightside.jpg

mewh left detail.jpg

mewh right detail.jpg

mewh group back.jpg

mewh backpanel.jpg

mewh ring.jpg

mewh hawk in ring.jpg

Wow! You did a beautiful job on those. I can only imagine all the time invested in those. Hopefully everyone who's getting one can appreciate them.

Alan, they are awesome! Do you engrave pre HT or draw them back enough to do it after HT?

Thanks for sharing!

-Todd

Edited by tgdula

Well.... it was worth the wait in my opinion !

jeez, the axes look so similar in shape... thats really hard to do ....

awesome handles

Greg ;)

Alan,

Beautiful bouquet!! They have to be happy if not I know where they can get rid of 'em. Wade

Thanks, guys! :)

Todd, the bodies are triple-normalized 1018. There's about 3/4" of 1090 on the edge that gets hardened using an acetylene torch, no need to draw the rest of it.

I have the heads polished to 400 prior to HT, harden just the last 3/4", then draw the edge to a light blue spring temper. Then they get sharpened and polished to 400 again, then engraved. The engraving gets a coat of cold blue, after which they get the 400 grit treatment one last time.

I've done the engraving prior to HT before, it really doesn't matter too much with two-piece construction. If they were all HC, I'd certainly engrave first!

Very cool, Alan!

It takes a lot of discipline to make the same thing multiple times. It's one of my challenges.

Well done! I particularly like the engraving.

--Dave

Thanks, guys! :)

Todd, the bodies are triple-normalized 1018. There's about 3/4" of 1090 on the edge that gets hardened using an acetylene torch, no need to draw the rest of it.

I have the heads polished to 400 prior to HT, harden just the last 3/4", then draw the edge to a light blue spring temper. Then they get sharpened and polished to 400 again, then engraved. The engraving gets a coat of cold blue, after which they get the 400 grit treatment one last time.

I've done the engraving prior to HT before, it really doesn't matter too much with two-piece construction. If they were all HC, I'd certainly engrave first!

Had I been paying attention I would have seen that in your original post. :wacko:

Well, I learned something from your answer anyway. Thanks!

-Todd

They look great Alan it might be a good thing there late can you imagine a bunch of drunk groomsmen wandering around the reception with

an axe tucked in there cumberbund :P

Bob

Yikes :D

Alan, amazing work...heck of a set!

I think you did your self proud. Nice job of work.

Held to the line on the pattern with little exceptions.

I have made up my mind. I like the fourth one in the bouquet the best.

chuck

Every one is a knockout , that fact that you did them all at once jacked my eyebrow so bad it made a bump on top of my noggin . You really do beautiful work Alan ,

( one day , one day , one day ,,,, )

Well done, sir.

beautiful Alan. Do you have any adivce or hints on how to do the aqua fortis stain. I bought some ferric nitrate crystals, and have been playing with the stain some. I want to get better so I can use it (I want to stain the kindjal handle with a. f.).

good work, and plenty of it.

kc

Alan..

tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif . Nice job on the multi hawks.... Congrats.... a group of work like this can really try your patience EH?laugh.gif... but they look so cool when a shown in a group...

Did you forge them all at the same time? and then do each step to all five as you went along?

Dick

Thanks again, guys! :)

Yep, these were a trial. I HATE production work, but that's how I had to do it to get 'em done in under a year. When I first started this gig lo these ten years ago I was serially unemployed, and I could and did crank out a complete hawk every week or so. Nowadays, what with full-time job and house and so on, I'm lucky to do one per month. So these five (there's actually seven :wacko: , but the last two are a little different and will be revealed when they are complete) were done as an assembly line. Forged out seven heads in two days, and then hit the grinders and files. The big worry was getting the handles mixed up after fitting them to each head, but I stamped the handles with the initials for each head so I wouldn't get mixed up while the finish was curing.

By far the worst aspect of these was the engraving. I can do one head in a couple of hours, but it REALLY takes it out of me. I seem to recall telling Kenon or somebody that the only way I was getting through it was to just think about one cut at a time until there were no more to do or I'd go nuts.

Kevin, I'll do your aquafortis stuff on your kindjal thread, but I've never used the crystals.

wow, absolute stunning hawks, the first one image is very fascinating!!!

Alan, if we ever have a fight you can send one them Bouquets to make up Sweety,,,,,,,,,,, Are you engraving your curves on a jewelers vice?

Aw, I don't think we'll ever fight THAT bad... :lol:

And no, all engraving was done freehand with (mostly) a #6 square graver and a small chasing hammer with the hawk head in a standard bench vise.

Been working on the other two "special" ones in the evenings lately. I think my shoulder is about to fall off. :wacko: It's not how hard you hit, it's the tension involved in keeping the darned thing moving smoothly.

I really like them! The group shots are impressive. It is your fault that I now want to make axes/hawks myself ;-)

Awesome, Alan! That's a heck of a lot of work. You're the hawk king. Or is it hocking? :lol:

You can send me a bouquet like that anytime :lol:

Adriaan