Hi There,

I am Nuar From malaysia,I am not relly active in this subject but its my hobby to see hamon get batter over the time.

Can anybody figure out and try to use BORIC ACID to mix with clay for creating Hamon.I am sure this is true solution which i have been told by a master that one of the ingredian for making the clay for tempering the sword is BORIC ACID.

What i am asking is for the prefection of hamon.

Please do try the mix of boric acid.

Thank You

Nuar

Hi There,

I am Nuar From malaysia,I am not relly active in this subject but its my hobby to see hamon get batter over the time.

Can anybody figure out and try to use BORIC ACID to mix with clay for creating Hamon.I am sure this is true solution which i have been told by a master that one of the ingredian for making the clay for tempering the sword is BORIC ACID.

Thank You

Nuar

WRONG DONT USE ANY KIND OF ACID IN YOUR CLAY TELL YOUR SO CALLED MASTER TO PULL HIS HEAD IN YOU ONLY USE AN ACID IF YOU INTEND TO MAKE A FALSE HAMON ETCHED LIKE THE CHINESE EBAY JUNK

Terence.........(today started off perfect now --- watch sombody come and stuff it up ]

if it aint broke dont fix it

WRONG DONT USE ANY KIND OF ACID IN YOUR CLAY TELL YOUR SO CALLED MASTER TO PULL HIS HEAD IN YOU ONLY USE AN ACID IF YOU INTEND TO MAKE A FALSE HAMON ETCHED LIKE THE CHINESE EBAY JUNK

Dear Sir,

Its no use for you to scrap his word but to find the true is more important.Japanese master naver lie and if you have fail after the try than explaination is nacessary.

If you cant see the shape of the SUN with your naked eye than you have to beleive what experd say.

Dont jump to conclution easily without trying.

No Joke Bro.

Boric acid might make the clay stick better and inhibit oxidization. It is a common flux additive and can be found in the pesticide isle under the name Roach Proof.

I haven't tried it, but worth a try. Thanks for the tip.

Don

Don Fogg

Boric acid is indeed a helpful aid to the "clay" for hamon for the reasons that Don stated and based on my own experience.

It's been part of many Japanese "clay" recipes.

Edited by Jesus Hernandez

Enjoy life!

Tell,

The tone of this reply isn't in keeping with the spirit of our forum. Debate is fine, but let's be respectful and polite when we do it, okay?

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Tell, one advantage in moderating one's responce is that it helps your words go down better if you have to eat them later. You're a good man. Chill.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

Hi There,

Thank You

Nuar

Sepoh,

Thanks for the suggestion...during the wrought iron manufacturing days, a mix of borax and clay was used as an anti-scaling compound, lowering the borax part to a very low level should work. The perfection of the hamon is a fairly complex phenomenon..getting a good adhering insulating mix is part of it.

Jan

Boric acid might make the clay stick better and inhibit oxidization. It is a common flux additive and can be found in the pesticide isle under the name Roach Proof.

I haven't tried it, but worth a try. Thanks for the tip.

Don

Dear Sir,

I am very please if Master Don with experd forum mambers do a experiment to Use The Boric Acid mix with best formula and tampeered one simple knife to show us the begineers, how the HAMON looks and if success we can actually just buy the Mixing compound from this forum admin.It will actually safe the time consuming and just concerntrate how to lay down the mixing compound to get BEST Hamon Pattern.

Also

By this experiment, (senior forum mambers) can actually get a idea weather to include or just ignore using BORIC ACID as immenint Recipie.

My appologiest of asking to much from the Master because I am new in this forum.

Sepoh

Tell,

The tone of this reply isn't in keeping with the spirit of our forum. Debate is fine, but let's be respectful and polite when we do it, okay?

Thanks Dave.

Sticking to the topic at hand. Boric acid will probably work better than borax for this purpose. Boric acid has a much lower melting temperature (just around 400F) which can help the clay adhere better at a lower temperature. Depending on how you dry your clay, it may form a nice crust to really help the clay stick as well as reduce decarb. Most of the commercial anti-scale compounds are boron compounds so this really isn't that far afield...

Sepoh, do you have any other information about what your friend uses in his clay mixture?

-d

Thanks Dave.

Sticking to the topic at hand. Boric acid will probably work better than borax for this purpose. Boric acid has a much lower melting temperature (just around 400F) which can help the clay adhere better at a lower temperature. Depending on how you dry your clay, it may form a nice crust to really help the clay stick as well as reduce decarb. Most of the commercial anti-scale compounds are boron compounds so this really isn't that far afield...

Sepoh, do you have any other information about what your friend uses in his clay mixture?

-d

Daker,

I have ask my friend she is japanese and has connection with a Japanese Bladesmith master.She mention Boric Acid,Graphite and Red Clay from Mountain But mixing the Compound is a big secreet where she did not know and just the master do it for tempering the blade.

There is also tip which is helpfull ,First they coate all the blade with the mixing,Than the ashi line, The last coate is the back of the blade(mune),Either one of this 3 step they add IRON OXIDA which might be KANAHADA.I Realy Dont know why, maby experd in this forum can share the experience with the biginners.

Please Advice.

Best Regards

Sepoh

Daker,

I have ask my friend she is japanese and has connection with a Japanese Bladesmith master.She mention Boric Acid,Graphite and Red Clay from Mountain But mixing the Compound is a big secreet where she did not know and just the master do it for tempering the blade.

There is also tip which is helpfull ,First they coate all the blade with the mixing,Than the ashi line, The last coate is the back of the blade(mune),Either one of this 3 step they add IRON OXIDA which might be KANAHADA.I Realy Dont know why, maby experd in this forum can share the experience with the biginners.

Please Advice.

Best Regards

Sepoh

Dear Sir,

Do Anyone in this forum can explain the different between Boric acid and Horic Acid.

Best Regards

Sepoh

I found this information interesting, as it may also be a clue how to make your own anti scale compound in a handy way. (A mix of powdered clay, powdered charcoal and some small amount of boric acid, perhaps?)

Tracking down boric acid was not too difficult. The only set back is that it is only delivered in 25 kilo bags...

Same source sells borax in 25 kilo sacks for a good price, comparing what I normally pay for the 600 gram bottles. I think I´ll by enough borax to last me a couple of years... B)

With 25 kilo of boric acid, I will have enough for several life times, I think. Shall look for a supplier that is willing to ship smaller quantities. If not, I´ll go with the 25 kilo :D . Boric acid is also used as a preserving agent in food stuff. Perhaps I should start some side business selling sausage or fruit jam?

I´ll report whatever I will find during my experiments, once I get to try it out.

I found this information interesting, as it may also be a clue how to make your own anti scale compound in a handy way. (A mix of powdered clay, powdered charcoal and some small amount of boric acid, perhaps?)

Tracking down boric acid was not too difficult. The only set back is that it is only delivered in 25 kilo bags...

Same source sells borax in 25 kilo sacks for a good price, comparing what I normally pay for the 600 gram bottles. I think I´ll by enough borax to last me a couple of years... B)

With 25 kilo of boric acid, I will have enough for several life times, I think. Shall look for a supplier that is willing to ship smaller quantities. If not, I´ll go with the 25 kilo :D . Boric acid is also used as a preserving agent in food stuff. Perhaps I should start some side business selling sausage or fruit jam?

I´ll report whatever I will find during my experiments, once I get to try it out.

You could try jewellers. I don't know if it's common practice in Sweden, but when I trained as a goldsmith, we were taught to use boric acid mixed with denatured alcohol to reduce oxidation and lessen firescale. They're probably no more interested in 25 kilo sacks than you.

Dear Sir,

Please let us know the result and this is Full Recipie ,But The ratio They will naver open the secret.I am sure we will find the truth ratio just by experiment.AMEN.

Regarding previous post I have mention Boric Acid But There is another Japanese Master Recipie which use HORIC ACID rether than BORIC ACID.I mention to him twice regarding BORIC ACID OR HORIC ACID, but he keep telling me its HORIC ACID this is why I have post earlier to this forum, what is the different between Boric Acid And Horic Acid.

Powered Charcoal(Very2 Black) which is very high quality from japan use for nutralise toxic in drinking water is one of the ingredian and Graphite is use together in the mix but the ratio is (they naver will tell us ).I can trust his word and the fact japanese clay mixing is very Black in colour.We can see from the book(Yoshido Yoshihara mixing)

The Clay is from mountain and its NOT Red in colour but its yellowish in colour.

They also mix sodium nitrat in the mixing.

The sand they use is called Chame(powered very2 fine partical) you can find it at Namikawa Heibei Web Site.

Might be For the Achi line they mix with Iron Oxida Which is called KANAHADA also Very2 black in colour ,and can buy it from Namikawa Heibei.

Please let us see the Hamon Result.

Best Regards

Sepoh.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Sir,

Please let us know the result and this is Full Recipie ,But The ratio They will naver open the secret.I am sure we will find the truth ratio just by experiment.AMEN.

Regarding previous post I have mention Boric Acid But There is another Japanese Master Recipie which use HORIC ACID rether than BORIC ACID.I mention to him twice regarding BORIC ACID OR HORIC ACID, but he keep telling me its HORIC ACID this is why I have post earlier to this forum, what is the different between Boric Acid And Horic Acid.

Powered Charcoal(Very2 Black) which is very high quality from japan use for nutralise toxic in drinking water is one of the ingredian and Graphite is use together in the mix but the ratio is (they naver will tell us ).I can trust his word and the fact japanese clay mixing is very Black in colour.We can see from the book(Yoshido Yoshihara mixing)

The Clay is from mountain and its NOT Red in colour but its yellowish in colour.

They also mix sodium nitrat in the mixing.

The sand they use is called Chame(powered very2 fine partical) you can find it at Namikawa Heibei Web Site.

Might be For the Achi line they mix with Iron Oxida Which is called KANAHADA also Very2 black in colour ,and can buy it from Namikawa Heibei.

Please let us see the Hamon Result.

Best Regards

Sepoh.

Dear Members,

Do any of the members has tried to use this clay mixing for tempering any kind of knife/sword.Let us see the hamon if there is a result and what is the ratio for the mixing.

Best Regards

Sepoh