Alan Longmire

So you think you want a Fiery Beard?

I am an absolute newbie and am unskilled but smithing already causes me to "space in" it is one of the few times that i can actually relax and not have all kinds of other things going on in my head. maybe in a few years I will gain enough skill to enter the hallowed halls of the fiery beards but alas I do not smoke and cant stand alcohol. either way I cant get enough of the metal work.

the 'beards' has always been a funny one to me, sometimes when im engrosed in a piece ive had enough of a flicker to realise what it might mean, then Ive have a smile at the thought that if it really lights in the future, and I can properly slip into the place where the hands produce what the mind sees, when you finish a piece and look down with the slight confusion that you made it, and your not really sure how, that it may be alight proper. Not just pixels on a screen.

I just etched a small PW seaxy knife. I am in awe that I could have produced such a beautiful object. I begin to understand...

who ever makes high layer 'mascus by hand deserves and award. 15n20 is rather tough stuff to move. It forges like 5160, only slower (at least for me). -_-

excl.gif Don't make the seax into sheeps excl.gif

I can't believe you posted that!!! :angry:

No fair beating me too it just because I wasn't here to post it first! :o

James

excl.gif Don't make the seax into sheeps excl.gif

I laughed so hard :lol:

Only if he liked to forge pattern-welded seaxes and swords with the proper mindset. Of course he'd do it with his bare hands.

Ohhhh, so that's what the fiery beard thing is all about. I really didn't think anything of it until one of the new members took down their profile pic with a fiery beard and explained why. So I was curious, and went looking into the whole fiery beard thing. As someone who is used to avatars in the twitterverse, I thought nothing of it. But, I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. I think I have a ways to go to be considered a fiery beard (even though I have a nice one) I have only burned the hair off my arms, and one eyebrow. But, its only a flesh wound. I will say though that I have a fiery heart, and it burns to create works of art made from steel, and other stuffs. I am quite obsessed with bladesmithing, I think about it from the time I awake and the time I go to bed. I don't expect a fiery beard at this time, but if I do not get one in 5 years I shall say NIH! If I don't receive one in 10 years I shall bring out the holy hand grenade!

Yep! I thought it was just some guys having fun til I was informed of the requirements for entering this SWO (smithing world order). That's why I changed my avatar. Perrin A'Byara...one of my favorite characters from the Wheel of Time books. He is a master Smith that doesn't see himself as anything but a simple apprentice who wants to return to his simple life.

So, I'm really into pre-christian European mythologies, I wore a Mjolnir pendant in Afghanistan when I was in the army, I've cast a bronze sword, and right now I'm working on a bearded axe, a monosteel seax, and two monosteel versions of the aforementioned bronze sword. Can I get some fiery hair instead of a beard? Yanno, seeings how I'm a girl and all...

1457507_675101052522914_1387715521_n.jpg

Edited by Feral

Work on that pattern-welding and you'll get there. B)

Is the grip on that bronze sword hollow like it should be? Always wanted to make one of those...

Work on that pattern-welding and you'll get there. B)

Is the grip on that bronze sword hollow like it should be? Always wanted to make one of those...

I actually cast it as a single solid piece as that's how the original i based it on was cast. It's a slightly scaled-up version of the Segerstad sword in Vastergotland Sweden (about 3300 years old).

Nice one Dave! I had to keep mine trimed so as not to get in to the soup pot while stirring it! Then I got a gas range, and damn near set myself alight... Gave up on the ZZ top look and keep it less than 6 inches now! At one stage it reached my belly button, and was hell to keep it out of trouble!

Only if he liked to forge pattern-welded seaxes and swords with the proper mindset. Of course he'd do it with his bare hands.

and without a forge, similar to squeezing a charcoal birckiette into a diamond.