Sign in to follow this  
Donald Babcock

Four new ones from the shop.

Here is my latest 4 knives. Still doing stock removal as I don't have anyplace for my forge yet. 2 clip points and 2 drop points. All with kydex sheaths. Each measures roughly 8 inches OAL, 3 3/4 to 4 inches of blade. Each done from 1080. 3/16 inch at spine and 2/16th inch at tip for drop points and 1/16th at tip for clip points. Triple normalized with decreasing heats (1400, 1350, and finally 1300). Brought to 1450 and quenched in 100 degree corn oil. Tempered for 3 hours at 475. Handles are dymondwood, pins are brass. Any comments are welcome. I'll be posting these in the for sale section soon.

100_2498.JPG

100_2502.JPG

100_2494.JPG

100_2507.JPG

WOW, 138 views and not one comment. I take that to mean that everyone that has seen these has been speechless. :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I did kinda expect at least something for comments. Any comments/critisisms are encouraged. I can't fix things that I'm doing if I don't get corrective feedback. I know some one must have an opinion on them either good, bad, or indifferant.

haha, they look good to me :)

nice healthy blades. I've never liked the composite dyed handle material.. but that's just a personal preference thing.. It seems to me that knives being such a natural extension of the hand and hell.. soul even, they should be of more or less natural materials.. or at least natural colors :P

Nice knives!

I'd talked to Steve Culver at one of the shows and he had some real nice knives using a similar handle material. He'd done them as an order that fell through, so was trying to sell them at the show. He said people comment on them and handle them, but no one will buy them. He said he thinks a lot of it is that that style material has been used a lot on lower quality knives from places such as pakistan, that when people see it they kinda avoid it.

He'd talked like he was probably gonna donate them to something. Was a couple years back tho.