Somebody tell me how to say "head shrinker" in Norse

Hello Everyone,

You may have seen the sword I am making as a gift for a psychologist who is retiring. It is a gift from me and the rest of the department to a guy who has spent the last 30 years as an expert in brain structure and function.

So, we need to give his sword a name that is appropriate.

Head Shrinker (except that he is not a therapist)

Brain Slicer (he has spent most of his adult life looking at itty bitty slices of brain)

I am sure your creativity will lead to better names that mine.

The catch - we need a name that we can translate into an ancient language of Northern Europe. It is a Viking-style sword, so it needs a Viking-style name.

Let me know if anyone comes up with anything.

thanks,

Kevin

Hello there! Egil's Saga comes to mind. He wasn't a shrink, but had an extremely large/ hard skull. Axes would bounce off it. At least that's what the fables tell :) He killed his playmate at an early age, paving the way to legendary viking status! Anyhow, good luck with the sword.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egils_saga

Edited by John Regone

OK - heili bita (I tried brain bane, but couldn't find a translation, so went with biter, sort of like Leg Biter, my favorite sword name).

It would mean Brain Bite or Brain Chop or Brain Cut

If anyone knows how to conjugate (in Norse), then we can make it truly mean Brain Slicer (or Biter or Cutter or Chopper).

So, at some point in the next couple of months, when I finsh this thing, I will have a naming ceremony for

Heili Bita!!!!! (or the appropriate term derived thereof). The recipient will get a kick out of it, for sure.

thanks,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

Considering that the fellow has spent his professional career slicing up brains with a microtome (small slicer) may I suggest Macrotome. Can't help you with the norse translation though.

i definitely think that macrotome transliterated into runes would be the funniest option.

aha- I did not think about the option of Futhark (or is it Futharc)?

that is a great idea!

Going with Islandic, that is very close to old norse, Head Biter would be "Helstubitr" (plus my very, very limited knowledge of Norse weapon names), "Brain Biter" would be "Heilibitr"

A guess for "Headcleaver" might be "Helstukljúfr", but I am not sure about the correct gramatics here.

Shrink is skreppa in Icelandic."Helstuskreppa" has a nice ring to it (head shrinker)

"Sálhrukka" is my own guess for "Soulwrinkler"

"Dream" is "Draumur". Gift is "Gjöf". A possible name might be something like "Draumrgjöf" (big guess here!!!) (dreamgiver)

I have only used Google translate to find words in Icelandic. I do not know the language, although we have a true Icelander in our choir. I will meet him on saturday at rehearsal. I can ask him for correct wording.

In the mean time, any Icelandic or icelandic speaking members on the forum, please feel free to hurl abuse at me for mistreating your language! :P

Shrink is skreppa in Icelandic."Helstuskreppa" has a nice ring to it (head shrinker)

My dad's a shrink (therapist, psychologist). I'm stealing this one for sure.

ph34r.gif

Thanks Peter!

yeah, thanks a lot, seriously. I will be dipping into this pool of names when I make myself a sword.

I have been selling or giving away everything I make, I gotta make one for me, and I am going to use the Headshrinker interp for my own (I am actually a therapist, too).

When I get to the sheath, I will see if I can carve runes. If they look okay, and don't ruin the presentation grade birdseye maple, then I will put Macrotome in runes and Heilibitr in letters.

No one will be able to pronounce the Futhark anyway.

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

~

Lucky for me I have a good friend about to receive his PHD in Ancient Germanic languages. ;)

I found this site a while ago. Might be able to find some ideas if you want more

http://runicdictionary.nottingham.ac.uk/index.php

(h)nakki (OWN: hnakki), m. n. 'back of the head, nape of the neck'.

sāl(a)/sēl(a)/siāl(a) (OWN: sála), f. n. 'soul'.

sārriða (OWN: sárriða), f. n. 'wound-fever (?)'.

siarða (OWN: sjarða(?)), v. 'to bugger'.

signa (OWN: signa), v. 'to bless, sign with the cross, to dedicate to a god'.

siða (OWN: siða), v. 'to put, keep in good condition'.

slø̄gʀ (OWN: slœgr), adj. 'skilful'.

stȳrimaðr (OWN: stýrimaðr), m. n. 'steersman, skipper, captain'.

niūta

Andrew

~

Lucky for me I have a good friend about to receive his PHD in Ancient Germanic languages. ;)

That's too easy!

• 3 weeks later...