MDF

Not a knife...roman buckles

Hi guys,

not a knife but some Roman works :P

Roman bronze buckles in lost wax casting, in the first image you can see the originals...I hope you like it.

FIBULA CINGULAE.JPG

Wax.jpg

Bronze.jpg

Fibbie Pelta1.jpg

Fibbie Pelta2.jpg

Very, very nice Marco! Do you sell these or is it just for your own use?

~Bruce~

I really like those, Marco. B) I had been wondering what you were up to lately, while inspired by a glass of Fernet Branca last night. ;)

Thanks guys,

Bruce, these are not for my personal use...are all commissioned works.

I make these only on request.

Alan, you know also Fernet? I am surprised a man in Tennessee, land of whisky who drinks Fernet Branca. I do not like this, I drink only my (and my dad) homemade :ph34r: "grappa", you know this?

I know many things, not all of them good. :lol:

I LOVE grappa, it is very close to our own homemade whisky. It's just very expensive to get it here, as it's not very popular for some reason. :huh: I actually prefer grappa to brandy, I feel it's a better use of the grape after wine. Cafe correto is a good thing too. ;)

I can't do Fernet straight either, but a little bit of that in a shot glass of whisky (to sip, not to shoot) makes an excellent digestivo. And there are bartenders around who are trying to get Americans to drink Cynar :ph34r: , of all things.

Going back on topic, what were these buckles used for in Roman times? I'm getting quite envious of your bronze work.

Those buckles look really nice; much more symmetrical than the originals. Interesting how perception changes. Do you shape the prongs from the spruce?

As for Grappa, BevMo around here carries Poggio Basso Grappa for about $13 (http://www.francoliusa.com/poggiobasso.htm) which we find quite tasty :-)

Alan, I'm always more surprised, I did not imagine these products were known in USA... also Cynar!

Grappa is very good and easy to distill, now I prefer flavor my homemade grappa with juniper berries, a few months after taking an amber color and an unmistakable aroma. As you say is very good in the "caffè corretto" but if you know so many Italian products I suggest you try "caffè corretto" with "Sambuca Molinari".

Provos, I never drank this grappa, in Italy is a very popular product and there a lot of varieties, each country has its grappa and are also very different.

Ok, I hope not to have any annoy and return in topics :P

These buckles were used for clothing and accessories, a boy recently took these to a philological reconstruction of a backpack made entirely of materials used at the time ... when I get some pictures of work finished I'll share with you.

The variety of this type of buckle is awesome, some very specific.

Provos, I do not understand your last question, what is spruce? Maybe you say sprue?

I make the prongs whit small sprue, cast and bend, this is the image.

IMG_0062.jpg

thats such intresting work, I relly like the things you make ^^