First try at a trade axe

Hogan Baker

Well, I played around with forge welding today and decided that it was time to actually make something, so I figured that I would try to make a trade axe. I wasn't really sure what I should make it look like, but I kinda just started and this is what I ended up with.

I made it by looping a piece of 1 1/4 iron and weld it to either side of a chunk of rail road E clip. It really isn't as off centered as it looks in the pictures. There is just about 1/4 to 1/2 of steel showing on the edge of either side. Right now, in these pictures I have not done the heat treat or filed any on the edge. I plan to leave as much as possible with the as forged.

trade axe resize.jpg

edge of trade axe resized..jpg

Does it look anything like a little trade axe? What should I do to make it better next time? From some of the pictures that I have seen, I think that I should:

-Keep the top of the axe flat.

-Make the axe longer by and inch or two.

-File some notches in the top of the axe.

Thanks for the input!

~Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

Are you welding in the little charcoal forge! Good job. I have the same one. I don't use it much any more though since getting a propane forge.

Edited by Luke Shearer

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

Yep, you're on the right track. B) Flat on top, maybe a little bit of a notch just ahead of the eye on the bottom. You don't often see filework on originals. On hawks, yes, on that type of axe, not so much.

Keep it up!

Ok, thanks for the suggestions!

I welded it up in my cousin's coal forge, I was too chicken to try charcoal.

~Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."