Integral Fighter in Forged Titanium and Carbon Fiber

It only took me four years to finish up this one :D

It started as a kitchen knife, but I decided to turn it into a sterile fighter.

Integral Fighter in Forged Titanium and Carbon Fiber

Forged 6AL-4V Titanium from a barstock. 26 cm overall length, 13.5 cm blade (10 1/4" OAL and 5 3/8" blade)

Blade thickness at the bolster is 7 mm (0.27") and it tapers towards the tip.

Carbon Fiber rounded scales with micarta spacers and CF lanyard bead.

Hand made cross draw leather sheath.

Knife weights only 150 grams (5.3 ounces) and sheath weights 125 grams (4.4 ounces)

Any imperfection on the pictures is because of reflections!

integralticffighter1.jpg

integralticffighter2.jpg

integralticffighter8.jpg

Now since I know you're going to ask, some info from when I forged this:

"To forge the 6AL-4V Ti I took the barstocks to 1000C (yellow) and hammered til they were red (about 900-870C) and then I took the Ti piece to the oven again til it was yellow and started all over again til I got the desired shape. I didn't have my hydraulic press set up back then.

This forging process took me about 3 times the time it takes me to forge 5160 as the Ti gets cold sooner than the steel.

The blades have a 47RC hardness, and I didn't heat treat it after forging, as the Ti got hardened in the process.

I find the behavior of this knives edge wise to a knife made out of 1070 with a hardness of 56RC. After I sharpen them, they get razor sharp and can shave arm hairs. After some use (again, picture a 1070-56RC knife here) they stop shaving hair, and might seem dull, but they keep cutting meat and tomatoes and potatoes with ease.

From what I've read, this is because of the micro structure of the Ti, that makes the edge to resemble a micro saw, so if you move the edge against the food, it will cut like hell still.

Also, I've read that if you reheat Ti several times, it becomes brittle... This is NOT what I found here, as the blades are almost as maleable and flexible as steel ones.

I find this material to be exceptional for kitchen use, as they are light, so after prolongued use you don't get as tired, they don't give any foreign taste to the cutted food like some carbon steels might, and because with a sharpening rod you can get it popping sharp again in some seconds, so if you remember to do that just before each use, you'll have a REALLY light and super sharpened kitchen knife at your disposal."

http://yourwebapps.com/WebApps/mail-list-subscribe.cgi?list=79955

Thanks for looking!

Ariel

Ariel Great looking knife. It's interesting what you have to say about the edge holding ability on ti . I recently forged a knife froum sum that a frind gave me and results whear simulare. I had to forge it hot yellow white. I just let it harden in air. very strong and impact resistant. Like you said it holds a edge better than the hardness would indecate.cuts vegies and rope very well.

Thanks guys!

I've got some questions on how I worked the Ti, so here it is:

Grit 60, then 150, then 220 and then 400 by hand. After that, polishing paste and cloth in the bench grinder.

Key to CF (IMHO) is to round it. That brings up much better looks :)

Ariel