Sign in to follow this  
James Helm

Sinking a large copper baptismal font basin

Not everthing I make is sharp and pointy. Case in point, this large copper basin I'm working on for a baptismal font. Details are in the description.

thats so cool.

I finished up and delivered the copper baptismal font recently. Here's how it ended up after final shaping:

finishingshaping16.jpg

finishingshaping17.jpg

It's approximately 29 3/4" across the inside of the rim.

After cleaning up with muriatic acid:

shiny.jpg

shiny1.jpg

And after going over it with a ScotchBrite ball chucked up in a drill:

shiny3.jpg

Although shiny, the basin is highly textured, with ripples left from the raising process and hammer marks from sinking it. The church wanted this rather than a smooth, perfect finish. Personally, I really like the textured finish, particularly the ripples, which mirror the ripples of the water.

shiny7.jpg

A steel stand was fabricated for it at another shop, then plated with a bronze patina at a third. Finally, after many months, it was delivered and installed at the church. If you look to the left of the large doors at the back, you can barely see it in this picture:

shiny11.jpg

In addition to being used as a baptismal font, the basin will stand next to the door and hold holy water.

shiny16.jpg

shiny20.jpg

And here I am, looking dirty but pleased to have it in place.

shiny19.jpg

I have a lot more pictures and footage of the process of making it that will be put together into videos and uploaded to my Youtube channel at some point.

That is very cool! That sort of work is something I have wanted to do for a long time. I'm gonna have to live to be 300 just to try out all of the things that are metal related. I guess I better get started :lol: .

Thanks for sharing,

Geoff

Very nicely done. The texture is superb. A fine blend of control and abandon.

Jim