Question about steel type

Hello all! Great community here and I hope I can bring some things to the table while learning the craft. I have a question for now: A few years ago I bought a 4' long flat bar of steel from lowe's. I'm trying to identify the type of steel it may be. All that I can find on the little tag it has is weld steel. I can't find any info on weld steel and figure it just may be another name for a certain type. Any help would be appreciated!

Hello all! Great community here and I hope I can bring some things to the table while learning the craft. I have a question for now: A few years ago I bought a 4' long flat bar of steel from lowe's. I'm trying to identify the type of steel it may be. All that I can find on the little tag it has is weld steel. I can't find any info on weld steel and figure it just may be another name for a certain type. Any help would be appreciated!

Sound's like Mild steel or up to 1040 no good for blades , google sutable steel for welding , but there are different steels for MIG TIG ARC BRAZE some can be miged but not arc welded but it may help wack it with a hammer on edge if its Mild it wont take a lot to dent it, if its carbon steel will dent but not as mutch, or spark test it ,, tutorials are on this forum , hope this helps

tell

Edited by tell

Terence.........(today started off perfect now --- watch sombody come and stuff it up ]

if it aint broke dont fix it

If you are going to make knives either forged or stock removed knowing the basics about carbon and alloy steel is vital.

This is a good starting source.

Steel FAQ's

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

Welcome to the world of knife making. One suggestion that I would make in getting started is to do some research on the common blade steels and pick one that is forgiving and stick with it until you know it well. You will find that different steels work & H/T quite differently and by using just one in the beginning that it will save you a lot of frustration.

Good luck with your knife making. If you have questions then this is a great place to get them answered by qualified makers.

Gary

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

That's almost certainly some kind of mild steel like A36. Not suitable for functional blades, but useful for fittings and so on.

I've used Lowe's steel for fittings. It's definitely mild and A36 is my guess also. No good for blades.

-Todd

www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

I'm using it for blades =[

But then again they're san mai high carbon core using the mild for the jacket LOL.

But yeah for the edge it's not gonna work =P It's structural so probably A36 or some sort as has been said. Order some steel from Aldo or look up a local spring shop and ask if you could buy some cut offs for knife making, they may just give you them. It's great steel for blades too.

Beau Erwin

www.ErwinKnives.com

Custom knives

Bcarta Composites

Stabilized Woods

If you like scrap steel, another place to visit is your local bearing supplier. Most bearing races are 52100. They usually have a scrap barrel and if you get the right person they know which bearings are "the good stuff".

It's not a steel I'd try to make Damascus out of, but it makes good blades.

If anything looks easy, it's because a professional is doing it.