post vise help needed

gmerrell

I found an old post vise in the local scrap yard and excitedly brought it home. one problem the female threads are completely worn away. The threads on the shaft are worn but still usable. Does anyone have the ability to cut threads this large? I haven't measured them yet but the shaft is close to 1" diam.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Greg

thing about it is with the screw worn out it's going to have a lot of play in the nut which isn't bad but it really grinds my gears. one way to do it is bore out the nut and press fit in a sleeve, weld it in, then thread it.

right now i'm working on a replacement tailstock nut for someone's old lathe. the screw is worn out, but i am making the nut to match it as best as possible by modifying the cutter.

I noticed in the most recent ENCO catalog that they carry a selection of Acme threaded rods & nuts.

Seems like they had 1", 1.25" & 1.5". Price goes up with the size.

ENCO

Not sure the old vise would have standard threads. You might have to replace both.

Some of the bar-bell weight bars have 1" Acme threads with a spinner nut. A good scrounger might find a solution there.

Don

Edited by Don A

• 2 weeks later...

I think the way these are repaired is to wrap heavy wire around the male threads to create the female threads. This female "thread" form is then brazed into the vise to make it work.

Great ideas thanks guys at least I have a place to start looking.

Greg