JPH

Question of Sori...how much is too much?

I dunno where to post this so I figured that this wouldbe as good as any..

I just HT'd a tachi blade, 28" nagasa, 11" nakago in kobuse 1060 wrapped around a mild steel core, Shinogi-Zukuri blade style...I was trying for a Toran hamon and well, the puppy up and curved on me more than I ever had one curve before..I have a full 1 1/2" of sori..nice even sori the full the length of the blade, but maybe just a little more pronounced about 1/3 the way up from the mune-machi..Can't tell for sure yet....Now seeing this I immediately curved the nakago to match so now I got a blade that looks alomst like a characture of a tachi...once I get the puppy polished up to the point where I can see if I have any cracks I will post photos if it survived..

Now I know how to reduce the sori but that is asking for heartache so if I don't absolutely have to I wont.. This thing looks like the sword from that Afro-Samurai cartoon..sheesh...

So the question is how much sori is too much??

JPH

POST SCREIPT: I am putting a pic of the completed sword (uif this works) from my last post so folks can see what I am talking about....

DSC00790A.jpg

Edited by JPH

Jim when the Kissaki touches the Nakago, then you have to much Sori.

I finished a tachi style blade by Randal Graham back in 2006 that had way over an inch of sori in like a 28" or 29" blade...it looked a little different and was very odd in the swing but cut like a bandit.

MtFuji_F.jpg

At first I really thought of it as a kind of cartoon blade but when mounted and finishd it was quite full of character and very effective (albeit extreme) as a weapon or training tool. A lot of how the final product will look depends on the mount and the tsuka length/curvature. This one was not the kind of weapon I would choose to train with but it was very attractive and functional despite a very deep koshi sori that made it look very much like a Koto style tachi.

SakeStuff_F.jpg

I have books with pictures of tachi and the specs show several blades with sori in excess of 1 1/4" (30+mm) so it is uncommon but not in the realm of disbelief.

Brian

Jim,

You are talking about tachi, not uchigatana. So a great deal of sori isn't out of the question. However, your 1 1/2" on a 28" nagasa would certainly be lot! I think that 1" to 1 1/4" on a 30" to 31" nagasa was fairly normal on antique examples of tachi (and the sori remains, even on the cut-down machi-okuri katana made uchigatana from tachi). I really don't think 1 1/2" would be too much for a study piece. I can imagine that a lot of martial artists would have some difficulties with that much, especially some of the ryu that train with practically straight swords. But if this isn't aimed at a martial artist, I think it would be beautiful. I like a lot of sori. Sounds like you have the usual koshi-sori associated with tachi, as well. Really sounds beautiful and all good to me, if it survived....

I will be interested to know if the blade survived taking on that much sori without any cracks. That is a lot of movement! Is it all natural sori, or pre-curved at all? Why do you think this blade took on so much unexpected sori? Also, how in the world did you curve the nakago to match the blade when it was already heat-treated without disturbing the hamon????? I know there are ways, but they all seem so difficult to pull off. Wow.....

Shannon

Shannon:

Ok on the hakago..I already had the forge up and running and I simplky used a copper iron to localize the heat and curve the nakago to match the blade sori...

I dunno what I did different but it was groaning and moaniong when yaki ire was done but I didn't hear any "tinks", "pinks", "toinks" or "poinks" when it was dancing in the water but I could really feel it moving and I was actually curious if I was going to have anything other than a tang left...But it held together..so far.

Now maybe my water temp was off..I was trying a new mix of quenchant three parts lye, two parts salt, two parts sodium nitrate mixed into the water untl it boils at 300 degrees...Usually I don't run that high...just at 225F in a caustoc soda brine...

When I first took it out I was thinking what the ....?? and the more I look at it..the more it is growing on me..sorta...

Like I said I was just hoping that I didn't create another strange Japanese styled thingy....that I seem to be creating alot of lately..

Once I get this father along I will post pics but now I got to start thinking about a siya for the beast....

JPH

OK..the Soooooo Sori Tachi

Now...I got the thing polished and mounted, only cut meself twice too...(for me that pretty good)...now that it is "all together" it doesn't look all THAT curved. Nagasa is 27 1/4" the sori is just a smidge under 1 1/2" Tsuka length is 11 1/4" OAL: 39 1/8".. Shinogi-Zukuri, no Hi...Which is unusual for me cause I think they make he blade look "finished"

The hamon I was going for was Notare but I botched it...more like Gunome now i got it showing..sigh...Hey if it was easy everybody would be doing it right??

Mounted in a lion motif with black samegawa under some of that very so hard to find black and gold chevron weave silk ito...Tsuka is curved to match the blade sori as best as I could...

So..is this something that could of been made some place, some time or did I totally screw the pooch?? Now I got to figure out how to do the siya...I am thinking black same and the rest in gold leaf under black cracked lacquer....

So let me know..hope the pic goes through

JPH

DSC00790A.jpg

Edited by JPH