Say WHAT??

Alright, let me set the scene. It was nearly 10:00 pm, I was browsing through a hunting catalog before going to sleep. I especially like to study the different knives they sell; although not likely to be good quality, I do like to get ideas for designing. Suddenly my eye was caught by a nice looking damascus steel hunting knife. I read the description and busted out laughing. Heres an exact quote:

"Damascus blades are legendary for sharpness and strength, and have been prized through the years for their ability to cut through lesser quality swords, and even rock. Damascus means "metal with grain," and the patterns are created during the ancient forging process forming visible swirls (grain) in the metal. As the steel is worked, forged, and hardened, the master metalsmith 'folds' the steel into many layers creating this unique pattern.

Our legendary damascus is hand-crafted by the spanish craftsmen of Muela in a strict edition of 250. A genuine antler handle hunting knife with a 2-1/2" highcarbon 512 layer damascus steel full tang blade - a feature rarely found in damscus knives."

Really? I'm definitly not an expert, but I'd say that there are a few mistakes in there. I've highlighted my suspicions.

#1 Cutting through swords and rocks? I'm kind of sure this is an exageration

#2 Damascus means metal with grain? umm... and here I thought it was named after an ancient city named damascus. And beside, all metal has grain.

#3 A feature rarely found in damascus knives? really, I've seen many of you pros making full tang knives out of damascus.

Heres a link to the knife and it's description link

Don't get me wrong, the knife looks pretty darn nice. But the description just doesn't seem to be written by someone who knows his stuff.

P.S. if any of my observations are wrong, please let me know, I'm happy to learn.

It's salesmanship, aka lieing, being fast and loose with the trueth, bragging. You've got to give the customer some reason to buy your product rather than the compeditor's, especially if the compeditor's is better. I don't think that they originated the stuff about the superiority of the damascus blade, that's been around for ages, longer than the myth that a samuri sword could cut through the barrel of a machine gun. Ever notice how just about everything on Ebay is rare and antique?

Doug Lester

My damascus can cut through swords and rocks . . .

I get to choose which sword and which rock, right? Cool. I'll take the cheesy aluminum sword and the chunk of Talc. See? The ad wasn't lying, just being very specific in a very vague way . . .

Oh, and my blades glow in the presence of Goblins too.

Anyone seen the mythbusters episode on swords cutting through swords? Pretty cool experiment. I wish they would have had a real bladesmith as an advisor, however, so they could have recieved better advice on which swords to test.

Happy Monday everyone.

--Dave

I keep watching the Myth Busters reruns hoping that they'd repeat that segment. They may not have had a swordsmith featured on it but, according to his book, they did consult Hank Reinhardt for the segment.

Doug Lester

just about everything is true there on a level :P

wootz steel had a grain and was legendary back in the day :)

I don't know about you guys but before I had a press, I tried to get the most blade length I could out of a billet, by using partial tangs instead of full tangs..

And i think with enough wacks, a good damascus blade could hack through a.. bronze sword :)

~

Sigurd's sword Gram can cut through anvils, so I bet it's damascus too. ;)

This is the crap that we have to deal with when someone wants a knife from us. They come to us after reading through their cheap ass knife catalogs and pick up all this "info" and then try to sound like experts.

It's a huge disservice and a real hemorrhoid when this garbage gets into magazines and catalogs.

I keep watching the Myth Busters reruns hoping that they'd repeat that segment. They may not have had a swordsmith featured on it but, according to his book, they did consult Hank Reinhardt for the segment.

Doug Lester

If you happen to subscribe to Netflix, they have like all the Mythbusters episodes available to watch on-line. Pretty cool.

--Dave

Kinda reminds me of that story Rick told on here where he saw someone selling knives and showing and bragging about how they could cut through a quarter. His reply was then that of showing how a quarter could cut through a quarter. It was funny =]

#1 Cutting through swords and rocks? I'm kind of sure this is an exageration

oh no no no...

see, damascus was invented long ago as a means to combat trolls, y'see.

needs must rise to the occasion.

Detritus is really the troll we should thank for all of this .. it was surely his involvement that started this big push into damascus steels.

oh and the things i could tell you about 'surgical steel' .. it would amaze you.

best metal in the world, dont ya know?

cuts like a razor ... even when you buy it in bar form.

amazing.

truly.

:wacko:

It gets pretty amusing to hear some of the tales about damascus told by fathers to their young sons while in my shop. I never realized that my blades were capable of such miraculous deeds. :D It makes you think that they are re-incarnated dime novelists.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

The people of Syria named their great city " metal with grain " ???

Maybe we should all print copies of that ad . Bury them in the garden , it'll grow faser .