CruForge V crumbling!

This steel offers almost NO characteristics similar to W2, so I think it's dangerous to label it as such. It's a through-hardening steel, with enough alloying to increase it's carbide content significantly, with the requisite increase in capable toughness due to properly formed martensite (which can be tempered to offer greater toughness), rather than relying on it's toughness from an unhardened pearlitic state. W2's vanadium content is so minimal that it's presence is merely there to pin grain growth rather than offer any additional wear resistance.

The intention of the steel was to offer a material that a bladesmith could use, using conventional bladesmithing techniques (forge for heat source for heat treatment, just abut any quench medium including the usual vegetable oils, etc., methods such as reading color to determine temp) that would improve performance for knife blades without requiring additional special tooling.

The results in the photos above should be significant because ANY bladesmith can achieve similar, consistent results with this steel and have a better performing blade with nothing more advanced than the stuff they'd use for any of the simple steels. There are lots of other comparable steels available, but none of them can be properly heat treated as easily or with as consistent results as this. THAT was the end goal of this steel, and I believe it manages this admirably.

BTW, it was never intended to be sold as a supersteel, merely a steel that was designed with conventional blacksmithing in mind that would offer better performance than the usual old chevy spring or the simpler steels.

Looking on the stats for Cru Forge V it looks a whole lot like 52100 on steroids. My question is does the increased cost of Cru Forge V over 52100 justify the cost. From the only sources that I have found Cru Forge V cost considerably more than 52100.

Doug Lester

Through hardening, high wear resistance, it is all good. It certainly should make it much simpler to get good results. So yes, I think it is a success. It should be good for most any kind of knife you want to forge, and make excellent pattern welded steel with L-6, 4340, or other deep hardening steels that would show contrast with it. And less trouble than 52100 to get right.