Dan Hurtado

My 2nd Knife Ever!!

Hello everyone, up for consideration is the second knife in my long (6 month) career. After getting an old anvil from an uncle, cobbling together a forge from an empty freon tank, and selling everything that wasn't nailed down to buy a grinder, I managed to finish this. It's made from an old file. I made stainless steel (never again) fittings, for the elk antler handle, clay quenched in oil, and etched with Ferric Chloride. I got a little over-zealous when peening the brass pin for the butt-cap and I think I went a little heavy handed on the FC etch. The blade is 5.25 inches and the whole thing is 9.75 inches overall.

I'm always amazed by the level of skill and creativity that people display in this forum. As such, I feel kind of "not worthy" to add my work to the bunch. I just made this for a Christmas present for my father-in-law and I hope he'll like it. I hope you like it too. I appreciate whatever comments or suggestions you might offer.

Thanks for looking.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

That is an outstanding second knife. You should be particularly proud of the fit where the bolster meets the blade, the plunge cuts and the hamon. Not many new makers can achieve that level of fit/finish. Well done.

My only criticism is the proportion of the handle to the blade. The handle seems too beefy for the blade. I would either have ground down the horn a bit, or made the blade wider.

Keep up the great work.

--Dave

Nice blade and quench line, It' a nice present to offer. The handle looks a bit large for the blade, but it's my point of view.

That hamon is gorgeous!

Overall, a very good product for only your second try. I wouldn't critique you too hard on anything. The fit between the blade and the bolster is spectacular, and the pommel looks great.

The balance, as Dave mentioned, is a bit off, but that's small potatoes and quite common. Generally, I would want a 5" blade to be around 1.25" wide at it's widest because that's what looks best to my eye. Not to say it wouldn't come to a needle point, like a persian dagger, but it would have to have some belly to flow nicely with the length. I'm always trying to catch that elusive Golden Ratio.

Needless to say, I'll not be posting pics of my second knife!

Dude if that is really only your second knife...I hate you!! Just kidding, I have been at it for about the same amount of time and have made 16 or 17 knives but none that look that good (especially that hamon). Maybe I should slow down and go for quality not quanity. lol Great work!!

Your temper line is excellant, the fit on the bolster is very good. The handle is a little big but even if it wasn't your second it's still a good knife.

Very nice. I know it can be a little intimidating to post your work here, but you seem to be doing great.

a great start to an addictive past time.

:)

well done.

Fit and finish look great, except for the proportions between the blade and the handle. Develope and eye for the entire package. If it looks right people will want to pick it up. If they pick it up they may want to buy it.

Doug Lester

The thing I noticed about the second knife is pretty simple. Your coach-ability.

You pay attention to instructions.

You have a good eye for fitting and the patience to work till you get it done like you want.

If you continue to make knives or something else. You will develop a high amount of skill.

It is good if this is your second or second-teeth.Grin

Congrats

chuck bennett

Edited by sandpile

Looks good, another option might have just been keeping the ricasso the same width as the blade.

How come you'll never do stainless fittings again?

Looks great, like others have said your temper line and fit are great.

I would like to compliment you on your timing.... Most of us are finishing it up as Santa is eating his cookies or giving "to be finished" parts in a box .cool.gif

You still have time to get one of those going...laugh.gif

and congrats on your 2nd one... you have proved yourself to be more that worthy...

Dick

Wow! Thanks everyone for your extremely generous comments and honest critiques. Although the anonymity internet can sometimes cause people to forget their manners, this forum is always refreshingly respectful. (Maybe it helps that we’re all carrying knives!)

Regarding the proportions… Now that I look at it, it does sort of look like, well, an icepick.

I didn’t have a real clear picture in my head when I began. It just sort of happened. I just read Dave Stephens’ admonition to another maker to begin every project with a pencil and paper. I’ll definitely take that one to heart.

Edgar, I had a difficult time getting anything to adhere to the stainless. I went through 5 or 6 iterations of the butt cap before I got it to behave. I’ve never worked with nickel-silver, but I hear it’s a lot easier to work with. I just need to sell some more of my wife’s stuff so I can order some!

Thanks again all.

Ah, I've just been silver brazing a tang onto mine consisting of a screw. LOL.

Then I'll glue it into the hole in the butt end with epoxy.

Ah, I've just been silver brazing a tang onto mine consisting of a screw. LOL.

Then I'll glue it into the hole in the butt end with epoxy.

Oh, OK. I tried that exact method, but could never get the right combination of silver and flux. It kept popping off (and flying across my garage) when I would try to grind the bevels on the butt cap. I wound up drilling and countersinking a hole through the cap, then mushrooming the head of a brass screw to fill the hole. What kind of silver and flux do you use?