Wow. That's too cool man.

Yeah, what's the story on this? Alan said it: I hope Cool/creepy is the vibe your going for!

Cheers,

Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

Wow. That's too cool man.

Yeah, what's the story on this? Alan said it: I hope Cool/creepy is the vibe your going for!

Cheers,

Dave

Yeah, what Dave said... very cool, but what's the story?

-Todd

www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

You don't even notice the heat after awhile :D

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Well, I looked at the photos, and I have to admit, they look scary, and cool. They inspired this story though.

~~~~~

Hephaestus was angry, what were these mere humans thinking? How could they disgrace the sacred steel in such ways? He slammed his hand on the table, and thundered “We will show them real knives!” As his hand hit the table it scattered the human made knives he had collected for study. On one side of the table were the knives he did not disapprove of. Made by the sweat of their maker’s brow, and the blood of their hands, these knives had a soul, like all things of metal ought. But the other knives, the majority, angered him greatly. These were the ones his servant had collected from the factories. These knives weren’t even made of real steel, these humans had removed the soul of steel by making the steel “stainless,” how could they think that such a crime would be unnoticed?

Richard Sextone had no idea what was going on in the heavens, no idea he had been chosen to teach a lesson to those who had so angered Hephaestus. No, he was merely worried about the knife he was currently working on, making it perfect, like all knives should be. And this is why he was chosen. As he was standing over the anvil, hammering out the knife blade, he was surprised by a voice “Richard, turn and face me.” He spun around, careful not to drop the knife blade from his tongs, even though the sight nearly knocked him flat. In front of him, sitting in a chair that looked to have been completely hand forged from steel, was a tall muscular man. His hair was long black and curly, his face rugged with chiseled features. The man spoke again “Richard, I have a mission for you, can you accept it?” Although fear filled his bones, Richard stood tall and tried to keep his voice from quavering “Who are you, and what mission do you speak of?” The man laughed, a deep rumbling laugh that echoed around the shop. “You don’t recognize me? Ah well, I shouldn’t have expected it, people haven’t recognized us for many years. I am Hephaestus, God of steel.” Richard could barely hold back his surprise; he remembered reading about Hephaestus in Greek mythology, the god of steel, Hephaestus, was one of the lower Greek gods, crippled, ugly to the other gods, and treated poorly by them. He clearly knew he was still above humans. “Well? Will you accept my mission? I need an answer now.” Richard was curious, what did this man, god or not, want? “What is this mission you keep referring to? How can I accept it if you won’t tell me?” Hephaestus smiled “you’re a brave man to talk like that to a god, but I have chosen you for this trait. My mission is to teach a lesson to these puny humans who have been removing the soul of steel in their knives. All they do is stamp them out of sheets by the hundred. This needs to be rectified. NOW!” Richard nodded, “we might be able to figure something out, I dislike them to, but I won’t kill them, that will not be a part of the mission.” Hephaestus snapped his fingers, and in a flash they both disappeared, reappearing in Hephaestus’s shop. Richard looked around in awe, there were forges running hot, anvils larger than two grown men, smelters running full blast, everything a blade smith could dream of. In his shop Hephaestus explained his plan and Richard agreed to it, albeit nervously. Hephaestus walked slowly, limping all the way, as he led Richard to a corner of the workshop, were there was a forge that seemed different, although Richard couldn’t tell what was different. Suddenly Hephaestus grabbed Richards hand and plunged it into the fire, Richard screamed as the fire licked at his skin. Soon Hephaestus pulled his hand back out, burning of its own accord now. He sprinkled a gray powder over that hand, the powder soaking into the burning skin, to the amazement of Richard, who although still conscious, was losing it quickly to the pain. After he put Richard’s hand back into the fire, Hephaestus pulled it back out when it was glowing with a red iridescence, then, placing it on his anvil, began hitting it with a hammer blessed by thor, then Richard finally succumbed to the pain, letting it wash over him, he remembered no more of the ordeal. Hours later Hephaestus was done, his creation was finished, and it was perfect. It stood before him, 7 feet tall, black as night, and hard as steel. When he breathed on it, it began to show signs of life once again, The creatures eyes opened, glowing as red as hot steel. And then it spoke, a voice that was deep and rumbling “Yes master, I am ready.” Hephaestus laughed, and said, “From now on you will no longer be Richard Sexstone, you will be Εκδηκητής του χάλυβα.”

~Several days later~

“And in the news tonight, another knife factory in China has been decimated, the tools were destroyed, some of them melted, the hundreds of tons of stainless steel used for making knives was found in a giant glowing puddle of steel, that authorities say will not be cool for many more days. The one clue that the authorities found was a large handprint, burned into the door of the factory. This handprint is what authorities are saying links this factory to all the other decimated factories. Strangely, none of the workers have been harmed, although all workers keep reporting that the perpetrator was a massive person, who looked to be made of steel, with glowing eyes, and hands that seemed to be glowing like hot metal. And in other news, a bladesmith whom we have identified as Richard Sexstone was reported missing two days ago, and has not been heard from since.”

~~~~~~

-Edit- I'd like to note that I in no way believe in greek mythology. I believe in one true God. This was just, and only, my attempt at a dramatice little story.

I hope you all can forgive my poor attempt at fiction writing, and Mr Sexstone, don't worry, I'm not really crazy.

Stephen.

Edited by oldanvilyoungmsith

Eagleeyeforge.com

EagleEye_transparent_SM.png

That's pretty cool! It's along the line of thought of a bronze casting furnace I used at a fantasy event some years ago:) (sadly no photos of it in use)

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Bronze_Age_Center/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=5846711

Edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/barbarianmetalworking

Sorry to be Buzz Killington but Hepestus was the god of the forge and craftsman in general (Im a bit of a mythology geek). -_-

Though that was rather dandy fiction writing, have you considered writing as a career? Or maybe being an english teacher. Id kill for a not crazy AND interesting one right now. :lol:

"I have surprised myself with what I can make with simple tools when a definite need arose. I don't think a man knows what he actually can do until he is challenged."- Dick Proennke

Sorry to be Buzz Killington but Hepestus was the god of the forge and craftsman in general (Im a bit of a mythology geek). -_-

Yeah, I know, but he was the closest one who applied. I mean, was I gonna use Aphrodite? the goddess of beauty (although I do have a thing for knives). ALthough maybe Athena could have worked, I mean swords are used in war. But yeah, Hephaestus was the god of blacksmiths and craftsmen and such, who knows, maybe over a few thousand years he's gotten a thing for knives ;) (it only took me a few years)

As to the second part, NO. I cant really write fiction very well. I'm a decent factual writer (like essays, those I can do.)( But although I can make up themes for storys. I never get them to sound correct. AN working in a school? Huhuh, how would I get in while carrying my three walking around knives? (One medium sized sheath knife, old leafspring. One Kershaw folding knife (spring assisted). And one small friction folder (old file, and old car bumper). I would get stopped before i got on school grounds. (I love being homeschooled. Shop class is awesome at my school :D )

Edited by oldanvilyoungmsith

Eagleeyeforge.com

EagleEye_transparent_SM.png

I think Old Anvily has better story than minesleep.gif.... very cool..tongue.gif

and Jereon... those are hot hands... I got a good laugh out of them....laugh.gif

Greg, Hephaestus the god of the forge & craftsman? So that's how he found mewink.gif

Hephaestus has warned me to not give away the secret too soon or he will light my ass on fire toounsure.gif He said it with a laugh that sounded like he meant it!!!!ohmy.gif

And I don't think you guys want to see a photo of THAT!!laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

So some more laughs are encouraged before Hephaestus will permit me to give it up....

And Guys... Anvily might just be correct so be careful what you make least I pay your shop a visit..cool.gifcool.gif

Dick

Yeah, I know, but he was the closest one who applied. I mean, was I gonna use Aphrodite? the goddess of beauty (although I do have a thing for knives). ALthough maybe Athena could have worked, I mean swords are used in war. But yeah, Hephaestus was the god of blacksmiths and craftsmen and such, who knows, maybe over a few thousand years he's gotten a thing for knives ;) (it only took me a few years)

As to the second part, NO. I cant really write fiction very well. I'm a decent factual writer (like essays, those I can do.)( But although I can make up themes for storys. I never get them to sound correct. AN working in a school? Huhuh, how would I get in while carrying my three walking around knives? (One medium sized sheath knife, old leafspring. One Kershaw folding knife (spring assisted). And one small friction folder (old file, and old car bumper). I would get stopped before i got on school grounds. (I love being homeschooled. Shop class is awesome at my school :D )

Greek mythology was funny like that. Personally I think Artemus (I belive the god of the hunt and wilderness) would have worked the best. She does use knives and other SPO's (sharp, pointy objects) the most. And If Al Gore can write a best selling novel anyone can. ^_^

Actually whats funny is my math teacher has a benchmade mini rukus on him at all times and he doesn't seem to have problems. And my old security guard (from my old school) had a glock in .45 ACP, a taser, benchmade model 551 griptillian, and mace. Its onlu kids who can't have stuff like that. ;) They were really nice guys but my math teacher had a cocaine problem. :o

"I have surprised myself with what I can make with simple tools when a definite need arose. I don't think a man knows what he actually can do until he is challenged."- Dick Proennke

Thanks Jake,

So the real story behind this .... A long time ago I had a couple who wanted me to make them something that brought to mind a witch... She collected witch collectables... That was the only parameter they gave me... The Wicked witch of the West came to mind... It is close to life size... When I delivered it they were taken aback...

She collected cutesy coffee mugs...wink.gif But after a while they decided they really liked it.... they were also afraid someone would walk into it at a party and skewer themselves ohmy.gif

so I drilled a hole in a mirror and mounted it so the hand looked to be coming out of the mirror.. It was very effective .. but I never got a photo of it... these photos are pretty bad.

I do wish I had documented it much better .... but you get the idea... When I finished it the surface was white worked and so way too shinny and silvery... So that is when the burning came in... I roasted it in the fire for 15 minuets or so to put fire scale on it so it would have much more of a texture to the surface.... In the heat of the moment so to speakcool.gif I didn't get any good pics... so you only get to see the few crappy ones..

witch hand 2 - 2010-11-07 at 17-00-47 - Version 2 - 2010-11-07 at 17-00-47.jpg

witch hand 5 - 2010-11-07 at 17-13-11 - Version 2 - 2010-11-07 at 17-13-11.jpg

surface was too smooth so it was cooked to put fire scale on it so it would look more skin like

witch hand 7 - 2010-11-07 at 17-21-56 - Version 2 - 2010-11-07 at 17-21-56.jpg

witch hand 15 - 2010-11-07 at 17-55-30 - Version 2 - 2010-11-07 at 17-55-30 (1).jpg

witch hand 16 - 2010-11-07 at 17-57-05 - Version 2 - 2010-11-07 at 17-57-05.jpg

I think this is scarier that the hot one.laugh.gif

Dick

Beautiful, Dick! So much personality in that piece.

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

You know when I was a kid I was afraid of mirrors, you now, because of that Bloody Mary thing. Not the drink, you know, the thing where she COMES OUT OF THE MIRROR AND KILLS YOU!!!!!! :ph34r:

Thanks for the nice words Sam & Marco... I appreciate them....

Jol..yeah that's exactly were the vision came from ..... I thought Walt Disney was suppose to be "good " for kids...laugh.giflaugh.gif I also use to have night mares about all the brooms carrying all those buckets of water in the "Sorcerers apprentice" too laugh.giflaugh.gif

Dick

Wow! That is a piece of craftsmanship. I initially thought it was a photoshop, but I'm much more impressed that it's freaking iron. I remove my hat, sir :)

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"

A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

• 4 weeks later...

I love being home-schooled. Shop class is awesome at my school :D )

Home Schooling is awesome -_- . Of course, everybody thinks that our parents are crazy, the kids are growing up to be 'un-solcialized' and that the family as a whole is plain out weird.

#1 and #3 are true in my case, but hey B) . You only have about 90 years to live, why waste 10 by being stuck in a classroom 12 hours a day? On my schedule 'bladesmithing' is right in the middle of 'school-time'. Three hours for my passion for sharp things, than another hour for creative writing. It's a good life :) .

Greg

Edited by Greg C.

Catch the wind in mainsails high,

Race the dark and stormy skies.

Land ahoy! To port we ride,

And there we drink our hearts to nigh.