how to make a sen drawknife??

bruce

Check out what Don Fogg has on it... here

Good luck,

Hogan Baker

"Stale water is poor drink. Stale skill is worse. And the man who walks in his own footsteps only ends where he began."

I have built several of them and use 5/16" O1. I have not measured the angle but you can eyeball it from the picture. They can can have a single or double edge and possibly have a different angle on each edge if desired. Mine are hollow ground on the milling machine with a 4" Sic stone and the tangs are differential HT'd.

This one has wrought iron bolters and scotch broom handles.

Jamessen.jpg

Jerryssen-1.jpg

One I made a long time ago before I put the bolsters and handle on. After cutting it out I turned the tangs round on the lathe so the bolsters will swage on real clean.

Scottssen.jpg

The radiused notches between the edge and the handle let you put your thumbs into for real good control of the angle.

Hope this helps. They don't need to be fancy to work. You can grind (slowly) one out of an old file and wrap duct tape around each end for a handle. A sen is just a one tooth file.

Edited by B Finnigan

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

Thanks. We both have those proton emitters so we can normalize the handles and harden the actual blade. Or harden the whole thing and then selectively temper each tang. All in 30 seconds.:rolleyes:

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

I made one from a big half-round file. The teeth were fine and rusted so careful grinding made them go away w/o ruining the temper. I made a tang at both ends to hold onto. The hardest part was getting the bottom dead flat. It works great pulling off fine shavings, and being two inches wide it acts like a block plane riding along the crests. Sure beats hand sanding

"Why waste an hour learning a difficult technique when you can spend 100 hours building a machine to do it"