dao or tanto

Kevin Colwell

Hello Everyone,

I have finally gotten to play with my new batch of high carbon, water hardening steel from Aldo (easier to describe as low manganese 1075).

The whole reason for this was to find something that worked easily, heat treated easily, and made a good hamon. I am happy with it on all counts.

I can't polish or photograph as well as many of you, so I am not really doing this alloy justice. I was able to get a really vivid hamon in person, and you can sort of see that in the photos.

This is a great steel for mono blades for those of us who are heat treating in a propane forge and can't do a very long, controlled soak.

The heat treatment was normalize x 3, then heat just past critical in dark shop (unfortunately, I have only eyes and magnet, no controlled heating source), quench in warm water for 4 count, then into warm canola that has previously been thinned by using acetone to precipitate the waxes out.

result - positive sori, hamon, good hardening, no cracking... yeah!

I am going to fit this out as a willow leaf dao.

thanks for looking. As always, advice, comments, etc. are invited.

follow this link - I put pics on facebook to save bandwidth, but everyone should be able to link immediately. if not, please let me know.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=97782&id=1407177569&l=99aad977c2

kevin

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Thats sweet Kevin :D We have been using Aldo's 1075 lately but in hawks for the cutting bit. Havent used it in a knife yet..

You have to take Life by the throat, then you need to chocke it until it spits up what you want!!

thanks guys.

If you can believe it, I think this one has already sold just as a loose blade.

I wish that happened every time!

kc

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I sent you a pm about hybrid polishing. Mostly, a lot of careful sanding and then several etches with dilute ferric chloride and cleaning with rotten stone.

Pumice may work better, but the only pumice I have is FF, and I am afaid it is not "fine" enough.

People with way more knowledge than me can weigh in here about how to bring these effects out.

polishing is an art unto itself, and probably my weakest overall area as a bladesmith/cutler.

kc

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Aldo.

I love this alloy. I have a waiting list of people buying loose blades from it, and I am making hunting knives for family gifts.

I get almost the same activity quenching in 120F Parks 50. I have to curve before the quench, but its less nerve-wracking and equally striking at the end. I'll post the hunters in another thread once they are polished.

kc

Hey, that's cool. You're really making great progress, man!

By the way, if you're going to spank yourself about the photography :P , here are a couple of thoughts: You might try shooting in a really dark room with only a couple of lamps for light and the camera on a tripod. That way you can shoot slower speed without everything getting blurry. I used to shoot with a hundred dollar point-and-shoot and get fairly decent results. The tripod and lighting is what makes the difference. Hamons pick up better in really dark rooms. Just throwing that out there...

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

• 2 years later...