Justin Mercier

For Sale: Anvil and Swage block

These were items that I was going to bring to Mace's hammer-in for tail-gating but which I didn't end up bringing.

Due to weight, these are pickup only at my shop in Woonsocket RI, or possibly delivery within a small radius.

First is the anvil. I'm asking $180 for the anvil and the hardy combined.

The anvil weighs about 140lbs, and (obviously) has no nose. The nose was broken off sometime a long long time ago. There are no marks on the anvil, but it's from the mid 1800s based on construction style, the small hardy hole, the presence of a pritchel hole etc. It works just fine and has a good face and good rebound and fairly clean edges. Included is a hot cut hardy which fits the hardy hole perfectly. For bladesmithing the lack of a horn isn't much of a detriment (in fact many people swear by the sea-robin anvils which have no horn and no tail)

anvil1.jpg

anvil2.jpg

anvil3.jpg

anvil4.jpg

Next up, which may not be of too much interest here, but I'll post it here anyways, is a swage block.

This is not just any swage block though, it's an original Wally Yater swage block, one of the finest blocks ever made. This block is in almost new condition, so hardly used that it still has Mr Yater's yellow wax pencil writing for the original shipping of it after he finished the block. Wally Yater hand finished each of his swage blocks after they returned from the foundry, and his pattern was designed to avoid the weaknesses of many older swage blocks where corners could crack off from stress etc. This is a substantial swage block and weighs around 140 lbs.

He made two patterns, the one here, and another which matches up to this one so that the half cone on the back continues down to a point. The last time I saw a pair of original Yater blocks on ebay they sold with buy it now within one day for a price of fourteen hundred dollars.

I don't have a pair, and I'm asking $400 for my block.

swageblock1.jpg

swageblock2.jpg

swageblock3.jpg

justin, we met at the hammer in, i want it, email me

Justin,

Have you ever met Wally? He's a great guy and is definitely "Wally". once you meet him, you never forget him. :) I wish I had the dollars and the quick trigger finger of Mr. Patterson...Good score on that one man...

-d

Justin,

Have you ever met Wally? He's a great guy and is definitely "Wally". once you meet him, you never forget him. :) I wish I had the dollars and the quick trigger finger of Mr. Patterson...Good score on that one man...

-d

I haven't had the chance to meet Wally, though I know he's still active in blacksmithing meets and whatnot in the mid-atlantic states.

The anvil is now sold pending payment. Swage block still available. If anyone has ever wanted one, this is a great deal for the best that's out there for a swage block.

I haven't had the chance to meet Wally, though I know he's still active in blacksmithing meets and whatnot in the mid-atlantic states.

The anvil is now sold pending payment. Swage block still available. If anyone has ever wanted one, this is a great deal for the best that's out there for a swage block.

Are you planning to come to the Fire & Brimstone Hammer-In in March? If you come down I'll personally introduce you to Wally :D

Any interest in any trades on the block?

-d

Are you planning to come to the Fire & Brimstone Hammer-In in March? If you come down I'll personally introduce you to Wally :D

Any interest in any trades on the block?

-d

Anvil is available again =) Buyer had to back out.

I've got a trip to Austin around march so depending on what weekend it is, I may or may not be able to make it down. Not so much interested in trades at the moment, unless you happen to have parts for my TR6 =)

The reason I'm cutting down on tools is I don't have the shop space I used to have, now that my garage is dedicated to restoring and storing my Triumph sports cars. My shop went from all of a 2 car garage, to a crammed little bit of space in my enclosed 3 season porch, which also during the winter has to store my pellet fuel for my stove. So during the winter I'm down to about an 7x12 space down from a 600 square foot garage =P

I have owned 50+ Triumph cars over the years and have a considerable hoard of related parts.

I am very interested in Wallys Swage block.

I even have a dual DGV 32/36 weber setup with manifolds...

Lets talk!

justin..i just e mailed you..if you still have the swdge block ill take it....

chele

justin..i just e mailed you..if you still have the swdge block ill take it....

chele

I got your email. Yes the block is available, the person(s) who I had ready to buy it ended up falling through. I will call you tonight at the number you provided, i tried to reply to the email and i got an email bounce notification 'email undeliverable' so something was wrong with the address.

-Justin

Chele,

If you're going to F&B, I can haul the block down. Justin and I

can work out the details.

Bill