Nils Anderssen

Vikverirs resource page

Hi!

After a lot of work we are finally finished with our new resource page!

On the page you will find over 2100 pictures from Norwegian and Danish museums (Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, Trelleborg, Ribe, Esbjerg and Horten). These are both large overview pictures as well as close ups of details that would be hard hard to see with your eyes. Taken by nerds for nerds

Among the cooler things is several pictures of all the swords exibited in Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim... which is a lot

You can also find PDFs of Jan Pettersens "The Norwegian Viking Swords" and Anders Lund Loranges "The Earlier Iron Ages Swords".

The page can be found here:

http://www.vikverir.no/ressurser.html

If you have any questions, just ask them in this tread.

Hope you like the page!

Nils, on behalf of Vikverir

Thank you, Nils! B) This is a "must pin" topic, I think.

Dang, thats awsome, thanks for doin that. I predict that I'm gonna be spendin WAY too much time there :)

Museum of Cultural History - Oslo, Viking collection, page 3, bottom right.

Woah.

Wow, so in the Museum of Cultural History - Oslo, Norway, pics- "Viking", I ran across page #9 / pictures 3 , 4, and 5 which appear to be a ladle. Is this correct? Oh yea, and is its provenance from Oseberg burial?

If yes, what is the approx. scale? I have recently completed the Mastermyr fire grid, a fork, and an Oseberg frying pan named "Egs Bane". And my Lady wishes to have a ladle for soup / stew. This looks to be perfect.

Thx for any help / advice!

Ted

Edited by Ted Bouck

Nice to se that you like the page :) It was a lot of work making it :P

Christopher Price: Yeah, that is a realy nice sword. Iron hilt, bronze casted onto it with silver inlays... you kind of understand why not many people (any?) in the last 1000 years have made one :P .Im going to post a high resolution picture (16884 x 3058 pixels) of a similar one in the next update :)

Ted Bouck: Jupp, it is a ladle :) It is found at Kvien, Vang k, Oppland. It i actually quiet big... i would guess 13-15 cm in diameter + the handle. The overview picture on page 8 is taken by me standing and I am about 183 tall.

Jeroen Zuiderwijk: Nice to hear that you like the tools :) I'll make sure that I get more pictures of that (some more in Oslo that that I dont have any pictures of).

I have planed one more update on the page with the following:

* Pictures from the National Museum in Copenhagen.

* Pictures from the Viking ship museum in Oslo (all objects except for some textiles).

* High res pictures of a 6 swords (up to 30 000 by 5000 pixels).

* Movies of testcutting with different weapons and armour.

* a pdf of "Middelalderens Tveæggede Sværd" by Ada Bruhn Hoffmeyer - If im allowed by the Tøjhusmuseum.

If you have any wishes (certain objects of interest, pictures in other angles etc) just poke me and I will see what i can do :)

Nils

Hi Nils,

Excellent info on the Ladle. I will be making one asap. Probably with a 5" diameter [12.7cm] and a handle approx. 18" long. [45cm]

See

www.flickr.com/photos/eldesar

for some of my work. I need to add more pics but this gives an idea of my work and skill so far.

I also am very attracted to the Armband in your Nationalmuseet - Copenhagen, Denmark picture gallery , specifically picture 17 of 91. I have a similar picture [not nearly as close as yours :0)] in my copy of "From Viking to Crusader] which says the diameter of this armband is 7.2cm, and that it is from a find in Illebolle, Langeland Denmark.

Can you provide any additional info like sheet thickness?, a top view picture? , a pic of back half?, how close the band comes together at the back? [ie- what the gap dimension is?] Oh and do you think this would be worn around the wrist?, or above the elbow?

Your work to make all these pics and getting extra info for us guys on the other side of the "pond", is epic!!

Thanks again,

Ted

Edited by Ted Bouck

Nils,

All I can say is wow :o ! That is an amazing amount of information It will take months to look at it all and study it. Can't say thank you enough for this resource.

Dion

thanks a bunch

man, i'm really digging their forging set ups... especially the tongs ... cool style of tongs ...

oh and the swords just blow my mind... Kabooom ! B)

Greg

Hi!

After a lot of work we are finally finished with our new resource page!

On the page you will find over 2100 pictures from Norwegian and Danish museums (Copenhagen, Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim, Trelleborg, Ribe, Esbjerg and Horten). These are both large overview pictures as well as close ups of details that would be hard hard to see with your eyes. Taken by nerds for nerds

Among the cooler things is several pictures of all the swords exibited in Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim... which is a lot

You can also find PDFs of Jan Pettersens "The Norwegian Viking Swords" and Anders Lund Loranges "The Earlier Iron Ages Swords".

The page can be found here:

http://www.vikverir.no/ressurser.html

If you have any questions, just ask them in this tread.

Hope you like the page!

Nils, on behalf of Vikverir

Hey Nils.. youre norwegian right ?

I have some questions for you .. ( jeg er norsk ) .. can i have your email adress?

-vidar-

I checked it out quickly yesterday but now the page is coming up with a 404 Error! Please tell me this is a temporary glitch!

Peter

It is a glitch, and we will fix it as soon as possible :) Sorry for the inconvenience.

vihalvor: Yes, I'am from Norway :) Just PM me if you have any questions :)

Thanks I think I will be spending much time at this site! LOL

Thank you very much for this excellent resource!

If you have any questions, just ask them in this thread.

This thing, from the museum of natural history, Olso, Norway...

IMG_1552.jpg

another view

I curious as to the scale of this, any information I can get on it would be wonderful.

Edited by GEzell

Hi!

I dont have the exact scale of the knife, but I gues it is about 15 - 18 cm long. The "pommel" looks like it is in some kind of copper alloy material and some (all?) of the disks is marble! I am not sure about the piece closest to the blade...

The blade is composited by 2 or 3 pices as seen on the picture.

Hope this helps :)

N.

Marble you say... very interesting!

It is a bit late for a sax, but seems to have some similarities.

Thanks Nils.

I guess it has not had an sax shape... just a regular knife. The edge is to the right side of the picture.

It is dated late 12th century.

Marble you say... very interesting!

It is a bit late for a sax, but seems to have some similarities.

Thanks Nils.

Hi,

I have just updated the gallery with some 780 pictures from British Museum, Museum of London, Wallace Collection, Tower of London and the Victoria and Albert Museum.

As usual you can find them here:

Vikverir's recource page

Hope you enjoy them :)

Nils

Edited by Nils Anderssen