Well I'm new here. Glad to see it's available.

I am looking for a source for the standard 1-1/2 hp, or 2 hp variable speed motor with controllers. I want to build a grinder and am trying to avoid the middle man.

thanks,

Hi guys. I have gotten a couple of calls and e-mails since it was posted here that I have motors and VFDs. I guess that it is about time that I joined this forum. I am active on KnifeDogs.com and have a forum there. This forum works a little different than Knife Dogs and I am trying to learn how to use it. In the mean time:

I do have single phase motors and 3 phase motors as well as VFDs. I build and sell belt grinders and disk grinders as well as forge building supplies.

You can check out my forum on Knife Dogs: Forum: Wayne Coe, Artist Blacksmith http://knifedogs.com...tist-Blacksmith.

If you are using a VFD you have to use a 3 phase motor. The VFD will convert single phase power to 230v three phase power and has a dial potentiometer. If you use a 1.5 hp motor you can run it on 115v power. 2 hp motors require 230v. I use 1.5 hp 1800 rpm motors and run them at double speed. I have tried to slow the motor down and can not do it. My grinder was used at Bowie Clairborne's hammer-in this October and was used by professional knifemakers. They didn't slow it down either.

While at Bowie's Bill Wiggins demonstrated using a disk grinder and I felt that I needed to supply the 1 hp motors and VFDs for that application also. I have built mine and have Rod Nielsen's Interchangable Disk System on it http://www.nielsende...om/Welcome.html.

I am not coming over here and trying to drag subscribers away. It is just easier and faster to get the information to you this way.

BTW I have a thread there about a sale on Nicholson Files. This is from one of my suppliers but is something that I did not feel that I could adequately market. Besides, you can get the good price without the "middle man". It is just a good way to help out your friends. I will try to pass things like this along from time to time.

• 1 month later...

I use 1.5 hp 1800 rpm motors and run them at double speed. I have tried to slow the motor down and can not do it. My grinder was used at Bowie Clairborne's hammer-in this October and was used by professional knifemakers. They didn't slow it down either.

While at Bowie's Bill Wiggins demonstrated using a disk grinder and I felt that I needed to supply the 1 hp motors and VFDs for that application also. I have built mine and have Rod Nielsen's Interchangable Disk System on it http://www.nielsende...om/Welcome.html.

[/size]

Hi Wayne,

Not sure if this is thread hijacking (mod's, if so, tell me and I'll start another thread or email Mr. Coe), but would you mind explaining how you're running the motor at double speed? I'm guessing it's an adjustment on the VFD, but I've never heard of doing such a thing. Is it detrimental to the life or longevity of the motor or VFD?

Both your machines and your website look great, btw!

Wayne, this is a question about your VFD power. On the one horsepower regular 110 plug electric exactly what do you need to make it work? I read so many different things its leaving me scratching my head. In Asia we ran 3 Phase machines but you had to have three wires running down the wall and the machines hotwired right into them. I was reading on your post above that the VFD would convert 110 to three phase but could be off on that, maybe misunderstood. Maybe you could give a simple parts list for a one and two horse VFD setup. Is that correct that anything above 1 horse requires 220?

ONE HORSE GRINDER POWER

110 Plug

Motor

Parts List

TWO HORSE GRINDER POWER

110 or 220 Plug

Motor

Parts List

PS, Glad your over here hanging out. Were you in Little Rock last weekend? If so sorry I missed you.