Shawn Reed

1000$ to spend on a knife grinder

ok i have saved up 1000 to put into a knife grinder. i have looked at several things online and now im more confused than ever. should i go with the grinder in a box, or get the basic kmg and build from there or does anyone here have one they would sell? someone please tell me what to do.

Clearly, you should give me the $1000. What, you want a grinder too! The nerve of some folks!

For a grand you could probably build a KMG style (but don't take my word for it, I think a $1000 is pretty slim. It won't get me what I want, but I'm not you). You could go with a Coote, and after you buy pulleys, motor and such, you might get in for under $1K. Not the best grinder in the world, but I know people who have turned out some nice work with them.

Polar Bear Forge has a grinder in a box. He has done much of the heavy lifting on the frame. He claims that you can build a grinder from his kit for less than $1K.

Uncle Al has a grinder for sale in the $1600 range. There was a thread a few weeks back about it. I've never worked on one.

Just my .02

Geoff

BTW, I own a Hard Core, and I have no connection to any of the folks mentioned above.

http://www.trick-tools.com/grinding_sanding.htm

I bought their hurricane multitool, they have more stuff there but the one I bought was $300 and it works decently enough for its price range.. the only thing I dont like about it are the size of belts and how to change them... kinda engineered by a cross eyed one legged drug addict if u ask me... but aside from that I like it fine

I would go with a 3 speed KMG. It will cost a little more than 1000 but you can just get the contact wheel or flat platen to start and keep saving for the other one, small wheel, variable speed ect. The best part about spending your money on one of these is that the resale is very good and if you decide to sell it you will get most of your money back. I am not sure that would be the case with a grinder that you build yourself.

I'll admit to a bit of bias, but the grinder in a box is right within your price range. If you get the motor and vfd from Wayne Coe, you could build a variable speed grinder for right around $1000 (it's just a bit more than that). If you go with single speed (nothing wrong with it, all my grinders are single speed) you can build one for less.

Jamie

If $1000 is a strict limit I would highly recommend getting the grizzly knife maker's belt grinder. After shipping mine was $525 so you could also go ahead and get a few packs of belts and the buffer wheel. It's a really tough machine for the price it just isn't quite as versatile as the higher dollar grinders and isn't variable speed.

I'll admit to a bit of bias, but the grinder in a box is right within your price range. If you get the motor and vfd from Wayne Coe, you could build a variable speed grinder for right around $1000 (it's just a bit more than that). If you go with single speed (nothing wrong with it, all my grinders are single speed) you can build one for less.

Jamie

i hope to be contacting you tomorrow, maybe as late as Friday. but after all week long of looking at different grinder options the grinder in a box looks like the one for me.

i found a motor online that im sure wont last forever but it will get me started until i can get better. here is a link http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Motors/AC_Motors_-_General_Purpose_and_Inverter_Duty_%280.25_-_300HP%29/IronHorse_%28TM%29_General_Purpose_AC_Motors_%280.33_-_300HP%29/Single_Phase_Rolled_Steel_56C_Motors_-a-_Accessories_%280.33_-_2HP%29/MTR-1P5-1AB18

with that motor several belts all the required wheels and a 6" contact wheel and i even got some buffalo horn shipping and everything will only came to about 906.00. i still need to get all the nuts and bolts and a cord but that puts me under my 1000.00 goal and i will have enough left over to buy some paint. maybe snot green??? :blink:

Jamie, I'm sorry that I failed to mention you in my reply. I had hit the submit button before I thought of it.

Several of my customers have put my motor and VFD on their GIB. Thanks Jamie, you do a better job of referring than I do.

When I started building grinders they were based on Tracy Mickley's NWG (no weld grinder) plans with step pulleys. Folks kept talking about VFDs and I replied, "With the step pulleys you have adjustable speeds." I finally did get a line of appropriate VFDs and built my new grinder. I was amazed how much better I liked the grinder with the VFD. If you build a grinder with step pulleys, pillow blocks, a shaft and belt you will spend about $100.00 for those parts. If instead you buy a VFD you can reduce the cost of the build by $100.00 or effectively you have reduced the price of the VFD. My first grinder was a Grizzly. Unfortunately it is not the best choice and the motor gets in the way when grinding larger knives. If you build a GIB, NWG, Wilmont or get one of mine you can start with the basics and the grinder can grow with you.