interesting show and article about dao

Kevin Colwell

Here is a fun thing to watch/read from CCTV. It is from the Chinese perspective, but generally accurate. There are a few opinion bits that will likely strike a negative chord with nihonto (ninhonto) advocates. Still, the history is generally accurate, though a few opinions are presented as facts. It is still pretty good, and a lot of fun.

One must understand, up front, that the general from this story and his style of dao have both been deified. Think of this as their Davy Crockett and their Alamo (or their Sam Houston and Battle of San Jacinto since they win, and I am a descendant of the good Mr. Houston, so I have to plug him!). I am the descendant of another several thousand alcoholics and womanizers, but none but Sam Houston or Will Rogers were ever famous. The rest of us were just "wild" or "eccentric" depending upon how much money they had).

http://www.cctv.com/program/e_documentary/20080728/100718.shtml

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

I'll bookmark these for when I can sit and watch them! thanks Kevin!

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Ric - you may need to install a newer version of flashplayer. Just when I click to start the video there is a quick message about needing java to install the latest version, then this goes away, and the video plays.

That may be it, anyway. The vids still work for me, but I am using a brand new laptop that my school supplied me with.

If you get the vid playing, don't hold me responsible for any factual errors of differences of opinion. Especially the latter. It is historically accurate, just Sinocentric.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Guest Derek Sturm

Thanks for the link/vid!!! I got error message on the first few vids,

but the last vid link worked (almost 15 minutes) Guess it was entire,

since it read straight from the article.

I like your review of it.

My thoughts:

I tend to think the Gladius (plural Galdii? should be :lol::rolleyes: ) were short incase an enemy

got in too close, they still have slashing/stabbing ability, further out they'd have used the spear.

BTW, many sources claim the Gladius were pattern welded, as well as Viking swords etc.

(many Viking swords show a width wise "fish-bone" pattern under spectro-scope as seen in documentary "Secrets of Viking weaponry" (forgot exact title).

Been thinking the thin bladed rapiers etc. became popular when armor was worn less (Perhaps DUE to armor ineffective against musket)(?) My other theory that it was good for urban civilians to carry, hence it became more popular with more urban build-up perhaps(?)

The double edge sword seems usefull if one edge becomes damaged, But also for crowd control

against grabbing, And blocking (by slapping the dull edge)seems practical(?)

I started to really get the fever to complete my own sword template (made in 2004) about year and half ago after watching a NOVA or PBS documentary titled "Secrets of the Samurai Sword"...

Oh, also I tend to think the number of folds, exact technique depended on the steel raw quality to begin with, determined by the smiths. A lot of the Japanese stuff came from river bed sand/ iron and they were practically wizards to refine it to such degree, etc. IMO.

Can't get enough of these type of vids (Although I never take any as 100% fact of course).

Thanks! (Srry for reply length, I just got to ramble sometimes). :)B)[EDITed:for speelink]

Edited by Derek Sturm

Guest Derek M.

Not to "hijack" your thread, Just to add the vids I mentioned rather than start another post:

(WOW! I found both on youtube): "Secrets of the Samurai Sword":

"Secrets of the Viking Warriors":

EDIT: there's a whole part two sereies posted by same

"TheViketube"...

IDK which one shows the pattern welded blades (Being recreated/originals under spectro-scope, describing the "fish-bone" patterns from twists(?)

Dang! Now I have to check if all those links are good :blink::lol:

(And maybe reply to the other new post I may have bumped ;)

Well hopefully somebody will enjoy these as much as I like these type documentaries! B)

Edited by Derek M.