Silver Lather bowl

IMG_1918 raising pic.jpg

IMG_1911 raising pic.jpg

IMG_1910 raising pic.jpg

creating the lip

IMG_1913_2 raising pic.jpg

IMG_1912 raising pic.jpg

this tool was used to planish up to the edge of the lip . Not enough control swinging a hammer to be able to get close with out hitting the lip.

IMG_1920_2 raising photo.jpg

this photo is the profile of the stake and the bowl.

IMG_1922 raising pics.jpg

another shot of how close the stake is to the final shape of the bowl.

So that's it in a hand full of pics.... I how they convay the basic idea of raising a bowl.. this method works for any non ferrous metal .. you can do it out of steel also you just have to anneal it much more often if you work it cold or you can work the steel while it is still hot...with tongs to hold it of coursecool.gif

Any question please ask.. and added comments about what I forgot are more than welcomesmile.gif

Dick

Thanks for the progress shots, Dick. Pretty much the same process I've used most of the time.

That larger raising hammer is beautiful. I presume it's one of the two you made. Mind if I steal the design? I've just started working somewhere with a power hammer and forge I might be able to beg some time on.

Thanks for sharing the process. Always neat to see how other people do things and the neat hammers and tools they use to do it. Thanks again!

Petr, Thanks, I think it is going to be left plain for understatement .. and to keep it easier to clean ....

Stuart.... have at it man, I stole the design from where ever I saw it as welllaugh.gif... I made it for working my steel body pieces which are much bigger than the bowl and I have another one that is the same style but bigger to get into deep areas...

Marco,Matt & Alan. you are welcome ... I'm glad you enjoyed it...

Adriaan,

Thanks, I don't know if you are razing me ( It's ok if you arecool.gif) about the human form... you can go to richardsexstone.com to see some... Go to the sculpture page...

Richard, not razing at all, I had no idea you do sculpture work, it must have been something in that bowl that led my mind to it. Beautiful, beautiful sculpture work, it simultaneously inspires and depresses me :lol: So wonderful to see such beauty and so terrible to feel how far out of my ability it is at the moment. So good that someone can do such work.

Super hot pictures too, the tools are beautiful.

Adriaan,

Thanks for the nice words... Don't sell your self short... their are many on this forum that have way more talent than me... some are downright scarycool.gif... But I don't let that stop me from trying to keep up with them... you shouldn't either.smile.gif

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

Dang! That is just beautiful. I love the tutorial too. Now I'm dreaming about making a vessel to quaff homebrew from.

• 3 years later...