viking long ship build

Sam Salvati

Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

Whoa. It's seriously one of my goals in life to build a little one, say 30 feet or something that you could sleep 4 on...

But that looks like the absolute biggest Norse ship I've ever seen. It's *(&^-in' HUGE!!!

Sweet. When I become uber-rich after winning a record breaking lotto, I'm going to commission one of these. Then we can all sail around and drink beer out of horns and pillage some seaside taverns. And taco stands. :lol:

No Thor, no hammer.

Know Thor, know hammer!

Anyone know any viking rowing shanties?

How big is that beast, can anyone translate the text?

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Thanks Sam,

looks over 100 ft maybe? I like that rabbiting plane....or what ever name they use for... Hans Christenson , my long gone holloware teacher would say yuh des is good....smile.gif

Dick

For translation, go to translate.google.com, and in the translate box paste the url of the page, next in the starting language put norwegian, click translate, and it should translate the page for you.

Stephen

Edited by Stephen Stumbo

Eagleeyeforge.com

EagleEye_transparent_SM.png

It's no doubt huge, but I think they're using a wide-angle in a lot of those shots, which may be exaggerating the size. I see some pics that put the frame and people into a more true perspective... still looks like it would hold several dozen men, though.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

Pretty impressive! Not only is the build something of note but it had to be difficult finding the logs(trees) with the correct curvature from which they could make the main beams (especially the bow). Anyone know what is the preferred type of wood?

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

I think that it's wild the way that the hull was planked then the ribbing was fitted to it backwards from the way that most boats are built.

Doug Lester

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

• 5 months later...

In March of 2010, construction began on what will be the largest Viking ship ever built in modern times. Named after Harald Fairhair, the king who unified Norway into one kingdom, the great dragon ship is coming together in the town of Haugesund in Western Norway.

At a hundred and fourteen feet of crafted oak, twenty-seven feet on the beam, displacing seventy tons, and with a thirty-two hundred square foot sail of pure silk, this magnificent ship will indeed be worthy of a king.

The Dragon Harald Fairhair will have 25 pairs of oars. It is necessary to have at least two people on each oar to row the ship efficiently. That will give a crew of at least 100 persons, yet the craft should be able to be sailed by only twelve.

*snip*

The Dragon will be what the Sagas call a "25-sesse", which means a ship with 50 oars. Two men are needed for each oar. We therefore need 100 crew to row the ship, 12 crew to sail it.

The Dragon Harald Fairhair will be the largest ship built in modern times, but many such ships were built in the Viking Age. At that time this would have been a fairly common Norwegian leidangsskip. The old Norse laws say that both the county of Rogaland and the county of Hordaland had to contribute 24 ships at the size of a "25-sesse" when the Norwegian defense fleet, the "leiðangr", was called out.

English Link