pattern welded seax WIP

spent the weekend at Owen Bush's place learning to weld stuff :D

this is a seax i made, rough ground to 40 grit, ready for heat treat.

10 layer (i think) opposite twist on the spine and a 640 layer edge which you cant see yet.

think i'll grind it full height

(it's a scan, sorry :()

scan.jpg

not 100% sure about the handle yet, i was thinking of something like this at first but i didn't make it pointy enough.....

seaxhilt.jpg

seaxfull.jpg

massive thanks to Owen for showing me how it's done :D

after heat treat, it got some recurve which i quite like...

scan0001-1.jpg

it's tempering now......

Jameswood,

Congrats!! nice job... As exciting as forging a blade is you will probably find that in the long run it is better to have the whole blade including handle designed in your mind before you start ...But making the part you are excited about the most is how a lot of us started too...smile.gif

is your name James?

Yeah Alan ,good to see Owen has hooked another onesmile.gif

Dick

Owen's a sly one, isn't he? Now you're HOOKED! B)

Nice job on the welding, by the way.

thanks Alan, im not complaining about being hooked though ;)

Nice work i look forward to seeing it progress.

Bob

thanks Robert

Jameswood,

Congrats!! nice job... As exciting as forging a blade is you will probably find that in the long run it is better to have the whole blade including handle designed in your mind before you start ...But making the part you are excited about the most is how a lot of us started too...smile.gif

is your name James?

Yeah Alan ,good to see Owen has hooked another onesmile.gif

Dick

thanks ^_^ i usually plan out the entire knife, even if it's just in my head as they tend to be simpler usually.

yup, im james

Very nice blade!

I am a complete seax addict...

That style of handle would be quite appropriate for that blade style, I think. Or you could go with a Scandinavian style sax if you want... that blade would work with either.

Be sure to let us see it when it is finished.

• 2 months later...

I'm jealous :P. good work. Nice clean welds.

Wow! I just saw that you're 15? good to have another young p-welding smith on here like myself...your better than me though :o ...

(as long as you used a press or somthing to help with drawing out, I guess there's still hope for me :lol: )

Edited by Luke Shearer

I'm jealous :P. good work. Nice clean welds.

Wow! I just saw that you're 15? good to have another young p-welding smith on here like myself...your better than me though :o ...

(as long as you used a press or somthing to help with drawing out, I guess there's still hope for me :lol: )

been a fan of your work for a while ;) almost all of the welding was done on a power hammer but then forge out by hand so i think you are probably better than me :lol:

Awesome James!

thanks Jake ^_^

Nice work James!

Love the way the two top bars meet at the tip and form an eye! (or is it one long twisted bar doubled back on itself?)

• 1 month later...

sooo, i cut myself:

P1010397.jpg

P1010398.jpg

then i got the blade polished and re-etched because of rusty fingerprints <_<

not a few weeks later as i've had no shop time, i got the handle piece made up

bolster and butt cap are wrought, thinner antler is reindeer, the middle piece is fallow and the wood is yew.

yesterday

DSCN3256.jpg

DSCN3257.jpg

DSCN3258.jpg

bit shorter than i wanted

DSCN3259-1.jpg

DSCN3260.jpg

today

DSCN3261.jpg

DSCN3262.jpg

DSCN3263.jpg

yeah i did :D

DSCN3264.jpg

a certain graudal to do the shaping

DSCN3265.jpg

antler pieces are now polished, bolsters need etching and wood needs polishing, then the sheath :rolleyes:

I like the handle alot, I'm trying to do something similar but I think your is turning out alot nicer :P I'm looking forward to seeing this blade finished, I have a feeling it's gonna be a pretty one!

and dont feel bad about the cut, I have a 2 cm scare in the same spot, same finger from a blade I was making... ;)

polished anter, it is actually shiny :D

DSCN3268.jpg

DSCN3267.jpg

here's the bolsters, i filled the holes up with wax to stop them being etched larger, and put some masking ape on the back but this cam off :rolleyes:

DSCN3270.jpg

DSCN3269.jpg

DSCN3271.jpg

DSCN3272.jpg

DSCN3282.jpg

DSCN3273.jpg

not as round as it aught to be

DSCN3279.jpg

handle is too short

DSCN3281.jpg

DSCN3278.jpg

the handle cracked because i pit the wrong pin in the wrong hole and it was too long

DSCN3277.jpg

DSCN3276.jpg

the fron piece of yew has some tear out next to the knot

DSCN3274.jpg

perhaps im being picky but i know exactly what i should have done to prevent those mistakes and it's not the first time i've done them! :angry:

Edited by jameswood

James,

So you are also insane like many of us?wacko.gif

Don't do that again rolleyes.gif

Some times it takes a while to sink it but life is shortcool.gif

All kidding aside... I does look good other than the insanity ... are you still going to carve on it?

Dick

Wow nice job. Its awesome that you have such great people close by to teach you. Only so much you can get over the internet which is all i have.

Keep it up.

Benjamin

beautiful, i love the handle ( colors and composite pieces !) ... blade is fantastic

if you want to save the cracked piece ( say it is sentimental ) .. you can use a thin crazy glue/ cyanoacrylate in the crack... glue togther... let it set... then pour more in the fissure that shows... let set and sand flat ( keep doing it till crack isn't felt )

ofcourse when you go to glue the whole thing up with epoxy.. you won't have to worry at all about the crack re-opening up ... the above fix is just for looks

( i've done it on old gunstocks with cracking.. rather than replace the stock, and its held up for years and barely noticeable )