John Rigoni

Anybody seen this episode?

This guy is a royal pain in the ass. He's the "Angel Sword" guy. He does nothing but spout complete Bullsh-t. I got into it with him 6 years ago after he claimed he was the first to exploit the natural banding in certain tool steels for decorative purposes. I actually preceded him by at least 15 years and I had the articles in Blade Mag. to prove it.

I pity the fools that buy his line of crap and actually think he's any kind of bladesmith.

This guy is a royal pain in the ass. He's the "Angel Sword" guy. He does nothing but spout complete Bullsh-t. I got into it with him 6 years ago after he claimed he was the first to exploit the natural banding in certain tool steels for decorative purposes. I actually preceded him by at least 15 years and I had the articles in Blade Mag. to prove it.

I pity the fools that buy his line of crap and actually think he's any kind of bladesmith.

I like your Mr. T quote.

JD:

If I remember correctly you and I had a discussion about zone banding/thermal cycling at the California Custom Knife show back in what??? 1997? The late Bob Engnath was in on that one as well as he was getting some on his "yakiba" blades when he was trying some S-7 as an experiment that didn't turn out as planned... Like I have said before..Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted....

Boy..I still miss Old Bob...he was a very good friend indeed...he's one major reason I am doing my 4th book...

Yeah I just wonder at times how some folks can sleep at night...

Back to work for me

JPH

Edited by JPH

it's too bad they didn't put the effort forth doing a production featuring someone like Ric or JPH.

It would really be a special treat to see someone like the Discovery Channel do a real honest-to-goodness accurate documentary on bladesmithing. With editors who actually screen the material for accuracy and completeness. ...oh....and force the narrators to pronounce things correctly. It makes me cringe something awful every time i hear a narrator mangle Japanese.

This whole thread reminds me of a few well know quotes... "only believe half of what you see and none of what you read" and the commercial for Sim's "where an educated consumer is our best customer"...

I think the onus belongs on the people making these shows.. It appears they are lazy and don't do much research .. and don't have the money or time to do it correctly.. They are just "phoning it in"... they are not experts passing knowledge . They are laymen who have a general education and their work is about collecting He said She said

material... Their job is not learning about something .. only to pass on what someone else has told them .. and how would they know if someone was correct if they themselves don't have a clue.. Like the difference between one of these shows and the "show " you get to watch on Ric's website...

I gave up TV a few years ago for this very reason... I missed some of it for a while but now when I see TV I think to myself.. Wow this is sooooo inane ... Don't support them and they will go away.... PLUS , the best part , I save $65 bucks an month by not funding them...laugh.gif

Dick

What do you guys think about making our own documentary? Surely between all of us, we could get together enough material to make an entire series if we wanted to. I can even think of a couple smiths who would be perfect for coordinating/narrating. Any aspiring filmmakers out there wanna give it a try?

I don't think it's for want of an accurate show, but truth doesn't sell. There are hundreds of tutorial videos out there, and most makers barely cover their cost with them. I think Mr. Sorrels has one of the better runs for Japanese work, and I don't see him quitting his day job.

We do this for our love of the craft, I think, rather than for fame in a fickle entertainment industy.

That said, if Tony is bringing a camera crew next weekend, we might just have to kick up the "entertainment" a notch.

I could not believe the stuff the guy was saying on there :angry: . And who doesn't love flaming water. I was looking on his website and saw his Roman Gladius that is a Quote" tradition dating back over 300 years to Medieval Spain" A Roman sword dating back to medieval spain HMMM. It is a sad world where so-called educational channels are full of false pretences.

Edited by Luke_Sorensen

I remember watching that show on tv with my wife. Ater about 15-20 minutes of not saying anything (just sitting there stewing) I paused the tv and had to walk away. My wife asked me why I paused it and I stated that it was utter crap. After about 5 minutes I sat back down and watched the rest of it and just couldn't help but laugh that this was being passed of as fact.

I recall that Howard Clark and "Fluffy"..I like that...were set up in proximity at the Blade show.

Watson said on his website (which I admit to having read..I even have downloads from it from time to time to have on hand should some reason require such in court) that he had spoken to Howard and that they had agreed on many things.

I was taken aback by this for many reasons...so I called Howard...after a bit of interesting language Howard said he did not recall ever speaking to Watson. A bit later in the phone call Howard mentions that he does recall walking past Watson and Watson saying good morning...to which Howard responded yes it is. (no quotes as I may be remembering it a bit off)

SO

what you have is Watson then going online and using the cashe' that Howard has developed by doing good honest work and riding on that for all it was worth. Yes they talked and yes they agreed on everything....but it was a three second talk and about the weather.

Such is the way of things with folk like that.

Oh...I should add that Howard not so gently let me know that I was not to speak of Watson to him ever again.

As to Waton's marketing abilities...yes, very good, too bad the rest of the kit does not follow. There is great money in making a product the way he does, or does not do, and sadly he is not the only one doing so. It has come to my attention that there are several big names who do not even make the product they sell....yet claim it to be their work....vey sad.

Ric

I thought you had to quench in the urine of a red headed virgin boy to make super steel.

Its not that he is just making up stuff that spoils the repuation of bladesmiths but its that he is doing it on various TV chanels (it was shown on discovery channel over here in the uk) and that these channels are letting him get away with it.

Jamie