In to the Wootz...

Niko Hynninen

Hi.

Here is Kard whit 480mm long blade that I have tryed to push frwd...all is slow sens I cant work propper at the time..

so sorry about " still in progress pics".

Well..Pattern however moves quite nice...and yep there is some parts that look bit raw...I try to fix that.

In photo, blade is bit under 40mm wide.

Kard pattern o.jpg

BR

Niko

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.

Here is Kard whit 480mm long blade that I have tryed to push frwd...all is slow sens I cant work propper at the time..

so sorry about " still in progress pics".

Well..Pattern however moves quite nice...and yep there is some parts that look bit raw...I try to fix that.

In photo, blade is bit under 40mm wide.

BR

Niko

Niko,

Little by little it just keeps getting better, very nice. I hope to join you here in about two weeks.

Jan

Hi Guys.

Thank you.

I need to correct...Its Khyber...Not Kard...Sorry.

The raw part will stay, thats fact. What ever I can do will not chance

pattern one that part of this piece..but thinking I can live whit that ..maby place for some gold

koftgari,that I realy cant do at all..so maby somethign else...some day

Niko

Hi,

Niko, I hope you don't get feeling I'm stealing your thread. :unsure:

Anyway, I had and have possibility to follow close enough Niko's journey into wootz and also got my own chance to follow him.

Here are a couple of blade patterns manipulated in a kitchen knife and normal puukko-knife blade.

See the ET-blade, there's ET's face on a surface :rolleyes:

BR,

Ismo Kauppinen

P.S Forgot to mention, that Khyber's pattern is better in live...but fine it's anyway

Ismo,

Those blades are absolutely beautiful !..If I could produce that steel on a predictable basis I would be very happy.

Jan

Hello.

I bring my own cakes on the table.

My first touch with wootz(NH) was a bit over a year ago, and first smelt just before X-mas 2010.

I bake my cakes with coke, coal, charcoal and preheat with any wooden chops or pieces,

in this kind barrel half blast furnace.

08012011729.jpg

last one looks like that:

DSC_0224.jpg

There are more pictures, last ones have a brilliant, zooming orginal size option.

http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/KUTVIS/Puukot/Wootz/?start=all

Also in my blog is interesting stuff, I apologize for the language thing.

http://www.pajauttelu.blogspot.com

Janne Kruunari aka B.Sofa

Do not try to forcibly, take willingly a bigger hammer.

Janne Kruunari
aka
B.Sofa

Also known as Jandaus Rahnasto
https://www.facebook.com/borderlandsofimagination

Hi Janne

nice pictures, and knives look very good

on spec sheet, the Cr and Mo levels look very high,, those wootz cakes must have been very difficult to forge out !

nice to see more successful crucible steel being made

;)

Hello.

I bring my own cakes on the table.

My first touch with wootz(NH) was a bit over a year ago, and first smelt just before X-mas 2010.

I bake my cakes with coke, coal, charcoal and preheat with any wooden chops or pieces,

in this kind barrel half blast furnace.

last one looks like that:

There are more pictures, last ones have a brilliant, zooming orginal size option.

Janne Kruunari aka B.Sofa

Janne,

Nice work and lots of it...I thought Niko was lonely up there..but quite the contrary he has lots of company. I am glad more people are showing their efforts and it will drive the quality of all the work up, no doubt. The word "Wootz" implies a very low alloyed high carbon crucible steel ( to me at least).

Jan

Thanks for the comments.

Jan ,I have a same touhgts that alloy issue.

Now I know how difficult is for me, novice, to create hi alloyed cakes.

I am now back to the basics, no the extra alloys, I tryed, maybe again later.

I decide to showup now because I managed to produce a decent cake for blades.

I'am very plesed for these four blades.

DSC_0042.jpg

I have a first remelt this evening, crucible is now upsidedawn in smithys floor.

Biggest cake what i ever try, crusible A6 load of 4 kilos of material + glass,

first attemp, I refil when the first part were melt down, It was a bit raw.

I´m little afraid that my furnace can´t manage so big load or its only depends time.

Janne

Janne Kruunari
aka
B.Sofa

Moikka.

welcome to the forum!

So near Turkku you do your work, that would be a bit easier to come by in southern Finland than to visit Niko

I will try to keep this in mind when visiting Family in Finland next time...

pysy terävänä! (keep sharp!)

best regards

Jokke

Welcome on my behalf as well Ismo and Janne :D

I have tryed to infect this obsession of steel making as well as I simply could...

It looks bit that infection is all ready advanced the level that there is no turning back now.

..Sorry about that :P;)

Janne uses bit different approach than me, and we have chance some ideas douring time to time.

I realy like furnace idea that he has, simple and it only needs fuel and bellows to operate allmost anywere.

It has that hint of ancinet idea too.

I think both guys will make and continue making nice work, im looking frwd to see how and what new ideas they find and use.

Journey must make by self...in some sens. We all try to collect info from all over. But its allways make and test, find and learn.

Some ideas and thought dont nessesary work one other..but I think general guide line there is.

Douring winter I try to forge my summer ingots, about 31 kg total some were...?

I do have strong feelign that pattern is repeatable all of them...if they hold in one piece.

Even more interesting is idea of making different styles of patterns....but that would need some work to make a list

patterns out there ( ancient one ) and if possible the " real " names of them.

Here is section of ingots douring summer 2,5 kg - 4kg ...and raw test pattern of 2,5 kg wootz bar and this point spesial Thanks to Peter Johnsson for backgroung info + ideas for my long project ^_^

Summer ingot 2,5-4.jpg

2,5 kg wootz bar.jpg

BR

Niko

Edited by Niko Hynninen

that is a nice pile of treasure !

funny how sometimes wootz will be trouble, and other times its all ace's !! B)

i like that bottom pattern, very much ! I seem to remember that you had a similar pattern happen awhile back... or maybe my memory is not so good

any which way..... i wish all my ingots had that pattern... then i would take up a new hobby, as i'd be very content with wootz

today i worked on a 4.5lbs ingot... it is slightly square... this may take awhile :o

take care and wonderful picture

Greg

ps.. we are suppose to get snow this week and weekend ... so no wootz making for me :(

that is a nice pile of treasure !funny how sometimes wootz will be trouble, and other times its all ace's !! B) i like that bottom pattern, very much ! I seem to remember that you had a similar pattern happen awhile back... or maybe my memory is not so goodany which way..... i wish all my ingots had that pattern... then i would take up a new hobby, as i'd be very content with wootz today i worked on a 4.5lbs ingot... it is slightly square... this may take awhile :o take care and wonderful pictureGregps.. we are suppose to get snow this week and weekend ... so no wootz making for me :(

Hi Greg.

Thanks and also thanks for all interesting brainstorming ideas that we have had, we just need to repeat more..melts more..test more...and do it all agane. I think just trying out different ideas and seen what does really work is the best info there is. I think by new ingots there is some new light to this too ;) lets see.

I think there is 4, all most similat patterns now..one is bit different but I used different tech on it..so it says alot.

4.5 sweet... you are obviously planning something bigger B) cool

I hope it forges out nice and even.

Old, the proto furnace I had to let go...I try to get new update version done before snow so it can be tested and run top temp slow..after this it would be ok to run it next spring :D so its long time before new melts.

Take care Greg.

BR

Niko

• 1 month later...

Even more interesting is idea of making different styles of patterns....but that would need some work to make a list

patterns out there ( ancient one ) and if possible the " real " names of them.

BR

Niko

Niko,

That is sounding like a very interesting project which I would love to participate in , let me know when you want to start it and what references can be used. I am giving myself this Winter to improve my Wootz process, then I am moving on to another area of the iron/carbon phase diagram.

Jan

Edited by Jan Ysselstein

• 3 weeks later...

Start and progres with one tiny A1 cake. ((sorry) big pics)

A Cake

WootZ086.jpg

25 X 25 X 100mm bar, Half of cake

DSC_0078.jpg

170mm, grinded and etched blade.

DSC_0108.jpg

Zoomed.

DSC_0092.jpg

Next i need to decide broken tip issue, heat threat and grind or first grind.

http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/KUTVIS/Puukot/Wootz/DSC_0129.jpg

I have 10 days get this ready, then it goes to Sri Lanka for wedding gift or

I make Sri lankan Piha Kahetta dagger for this intent.

Wootz folder: http://s951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/KUTVIS/Puukot/Wootz/

I have a new camera and too big memorycard ;)

Janne Kruunari
aka
B.Sofa

Moi Janne!

nice pics, thx! Tell us more about the forging of the nice present you made,

was it from the above cake? How did you heat-treat it (diffusionheating?)- oh, by the way, I would grind first and then do the treating...

nice that you are going ahead

can not wait for summer to come ;-)

terve

Edited by Jokke

Jokke

very nice !

interesting albums you have.. very good work !

x2 what Jokke says .. grind first

there are very few modern ones made with raised center ribs.. thats great to see it

good luck to finishing it in time... for important day

Greg

Janne, looks nice B)

The shape of the cross section of this blade is one of my favorite ones.

In fact I dont consider it that hard to forge..that is by powerhammer as initial steps..

whit striker and upset tools its actually interesting.

By self I would make tool for it..guillotine / springy clamp like tool works.

Pit of microporosity or it could be graphitisation from too hi C / too hi temp douring forging.

Even so it looks good...ancient blades has some graphitisation to be seen too..so actually is even more authentic :lol:

Higher alloys % will prevent graphitisation...even level are then higher than ancinet blades had...maby?! only so little is find and study.

Looks good, I hope you will manage to D-line.

BR

Niko