Archie Zietman

Mah Blower is Too Loud!

Hey Folks,

So, I just got this little blower, it's absolutely tiny, which is what I need, only trouble is that it sounds like across between a circular saw and a mac truck. I like my (relative) quiet, me, so I'm looking into ways to shut the little feller up. I'm thinking of putting it in a padded box, maybe with air vents so's it won't overheat? Are there sound dampening paints? Or should I just turn the music up louder?

Thanks,

A

Archie,

could you put it in another room? like a closet... I would think you could put in in a box if the box was big enough to let the fan have enough air flow around it to keep it cool...

could you trade it in on a bigger one?... Big and slow fans can move as much air as small and fast fans... but the smaller and faster ,as you have found out, are louder...

listening to a high pitch whine for extended periods is not pleasant in the least and can be bad for your hearing and actually makes you feel tired.. you've probably experienced that already by the question you have asked...happy.gif

depending on the kind of fan it is you could fix a pipe on the intake... that may quiet it down some too....

Dick

If it sounds like a circular saw, then it's probably a carbon brush motor, so i don't think putting something over the intake will work.

Archie,

do you have a pic of it?

As far as the pipe on the intake,

you need to be old enough for your father to have had a car with a carburetor.... we would take off the air cleaner to make the engine sound louder laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

it won't quiet it as much as an exhaust pipe does thou... and you already have an exhaust pipe going from the blower to the forge..

Dick

Hey, thanks for the advice!

I tried insulating it with foam, with a pipe hanging off the intake, and in a box, and with a fox, and in the rain and with a train, but it's still too noisy for me, so I'm looking into just getting a quieter blower. I also just realized that it's dc, not AC, would that make it run louder? If I don't use it, it would cost me more to return the blower than I paid for it (I have to pay for shipping) so I'm looking into other blowers. Do any of you have experience with this one? I've heard it's quite quiet, the motor turns half as quickly as the little one, so it should be quieter, I am thinking.

You can see both of the blowers on surpluscenter.com . I'm considering getting the 60 cfm fasco centrifugal blower, and the one I'm not using is the "20 cfm vdc blower".

Thanks!

Archie

Edited by Archie Zietman

Archie,

Were you running that original blower you got on 120 volts out of the wall? If you were I'm surprised it didn't burn up.... I bet it was loudcool.gif hook it up to you car battery and it will run at the proper speed...

I don't see the the 60 cfm fasco you are talking about... Do you have one of their fliers or a full catalog? I have the latest catalog 2011 edition #284

on page 154 0f the new catalog there is one 150 CFM , 115 volt AC continuous duty for $18.99 Item # 16-1394 I think this is the best bang for the buck...

there is another one on page 155.. 195 CFM 115 volt AC continuous duty that runs at 1300 rpm for $49.99 Item 16-1387 this is a little more exspensive but would run much quieter than the 150 CFM one.. It your wallet can afford it get this one get it ....

Dick

Hey, Dick!

Yeah... I was running it out of the wall. It got really hot really quickly. I was stupid to not have checked if it was ac or dc. But now that I know, I can probably make some use of it, without it exploding. Are there ac to dc adapters?* Thanks for the advice with the catalog, by the way, I'm going from their website. If you search the website, they have 2 models of 60cfm fasco blowers they're green and fairly heavy duty, steel housings and whatnot. I'm getting number 16-1404, as 60cfm for this forge is already significantly too much air. I actually got a chance to see one in action, so I know it's pretty quiet. I checked out the two which you suggested, and of the two I would have gone with the more expensive one, but it felt like overkill squared, so I got a smaller one.

Thanks for your help, especially about the small dc blower!

* edit: Answered my own question: yes there are ac to dc converters, I just need to find a 120ac to 24dc converter.

Edited by Archie Zietman

Hey Archie,

The cost of an AC to DC power supply would most likely be more than you'd want to pay. Some of the little transformers you can get to power DC stuff from a wall plug are cheap, but most wouldn't supply enough amps to power something like a DC blower motor (even a tiny one) most are rated in milliamp which is far from enough power for the motor.

Surplus Center has a bunch of blowers that would most likely work for the application, and much cheaper than trying to find and buy a DC power supply big enough to power that blower you already have (especially if it's a 24 VDC motor). You could use two 12V car batteries in series if you wanted, but again, unless you already have them laying around the cost would be way to much. I'd just chalk the DC motor up as a loss and get something 120 VAC.

Good luck!

Bob