Kevin (The Professor)

new grinder - riverside machine

Hello Everyone - I want to say, if you do not have a grinder with variable speed, you need one. It is amazing. I can actually control things now.

I just set this up today, I got it yesterday. I call it SUPERGRINDER although it is really just Uncle Al's standard model. Plug and play like this.

$1,700.00 and change, delivered.

I am going to spend some time working in the shop over the next couple of days, finally. Stupid day job, don't they realize I have knives to make, things to grind...?

thanks for looking. I have never used a kmg, only Baders and Grizzlies. Please don't anyone launch into how wonderful kmg's are. I am certain that they are a high quality machine. I happened to want this machine, for many very good reasons, and it has surpassed my expectations.

take care,

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Looks like a great grinder!!

Can you tell me how the belt tensioning works on this model ?

I have looked at a lot of grinders and not seen this sort of component.

Is it a screw , a tube spring or a gas cylinder?

Thanks

Steve

its none of the above. I have never seen this either. It is a tube with an angle cut on the end, and a ring that fits around the central piston. there is a smaller tube on top, and the piston has a small tube around it, then the ring, then the piston enters the bottom tube, which has the angle cut into the top end. The bottom tube is whole structual piece for the lower portion of the tensioning mechanism.

So, the when there is pressure against the top of the tensioning unit, this pushes the piston down into the bottom cylinder. But, the angle on the top of the bottom cylinder causes the ring to tilt and bind against the piston, which keeps the top of the mechanism from being able to go down again.

Never seen this idea anywhere else before, but it works fine. No spring, just a system that can move one way but not the other unless you free the ring by pulling up on the little tab.

clever.

kc

If I could warrant a guess, I would bet that the 'fixed' tensioning system virtually eliminates hop and any other motion that could be caused by variable tensioning systems - ingenious! Does it track really smoothly? That would be the proof, as they say...

What size are the tool arm bars?

I know you specifically asked not to make reference to other grinders, but my suspicion is that for the amount of money you spent you can't touch any of the grinders you mentioned with the same capabilities or features. Nice machine - and cheap, too!

.......................I know you specifically asked not to make reference to other grinders, but my suspicion is that for the amount of money you spent you can't touch any of the grinders you mentioned with the same capabilities or features. Nice machine - and cheap, too!

I've been trying to say that for years and just gave up. I have mentioned to Al a couple times to get on the forums and promote his grinder. But he must be selling enough as it is.

I bought mine four years ago for the same amount of savings. But once you get a product cult going on the forums it becomes a runaway train.

Congrats on the new machine, Kevin!

I won't mention the brand of my grinder ;) , but it's true a professional-quality machine from any of the makers thereof is a real eye-opener compared to anything less.

I had been saving up to add the VFD to mine, but I talked myself into going to Owen's instead. :lol: Maybe next year.

Congrats Kevin,

I bet you have seen a mechanism like the one you explained... and maybe used one if you go camping .... an adjustable tent polewink.gif I bet you'll see that idea a lot now that

you use one... Jack stands that the construction/fabricating industry uses work that way too... I bet you will think of a couple more that you have seen too

too bad the day job can't pay you in time instead of money biggrin.gif... Have fun with the new toy today...

Dick

Kevin

I knew Uncle Al was a rare and gifted man when I first saw his take on a hydraulic press.

I have great respect and admiration for anyone who can take an idea or design and morph it to suit their needs.

This mechanism appears to me to be the same principle that my woodworking pipe clamps work on.

Kind of a captured slip wedge type of action

I am sure your grinder will give you years of wonderful service.

I just finished building my first 2 x 72 with my own take on tracking/ tensioning that combines a few common styles.

I will post some pics sometime soon.

Good luck

Steve

IMG_4998.JPG

Edited by bronzetools

steve - I think you are right about the priciple.

Al has struck me as honest, dedicated, and with a good sense of humor.

On of the things I try to live my life by - if I build a relationship or enter into a partnership with someone and they treat me well and we have success in our mutual venture - I go to them first the next time I need to undertake something in their area of expertise.

Personal loyalty.

It can't be over-rated in terms of importance.

I would not ever argue that Al's grinder is "better than" a kmg, or the TW-90 (or whatever Travis calls his impressive machine). These are all high quality machines, made by what I suspect are high quality people (Rob Frink, if I have his name correct, has a golden reputation).

Honestly, it wouldn't have mattered if this was the first grinder Al had ever made. I still would have gone to him. I know he would have worked with it at his shop until it was perfect before he ever would have sent it to me. The other guys may have done that, too. But, the thing is, Al had already done that for me once before.

Here is the point - Al worked carefully with me to sell me a customized and high-quality press. We worked together to figure out what I needed, and then he made it. In my world, if someone treats you as well as they are capable, you don't take your business elsewhere to get an equal product from someone else. Notice - money doesn't really figure into this.

Surely, this is a worldview that rings true among a group of custom artists and craftspeople.

take care,

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)