Dave Stephens

Using Outside Hosting for Photos

All --

As you know, the storage of photos on this server is a constant thorn in our sides. Due to the size of the photos uploaded, our storage is way over the limit.

If everyone would use a free, external hosting service and then use HTML to embed the image(s) in their posts, it would eliminate almost all of our problems in this regard.

[ Please see update on storage below (post #5). Lots of room on the server now. Feel free to upload. Picassa is still very handy, however, so I'll leave the tutorial up.]

To encourage this, I've created a step-by-step tutorial on how to use Google's free image hosting services, Picassa, to house and link images.

http://katmaicorp.com/dave_gallery/index.htm

The upside of this is that you can upload any size photo you want, even really large file sizes. It won't matter a bit to our bandwidth or storage use.

PM me with any questions.

Thanks!

--Dave

Dave,

Thanks for posting this.... Like everything ....learning something new can be taxing.... But we all have learned to use a computer well enough to get to this forum so we are all capable of

learning how to do this... It's a learning curve we all need to make to keep the forum alive.... Thanks for all you time putting this together...biggrin.gif

Dick

"The upside of this is that you can upload any size photo you want, even really large file sizes. It won't matter a bit to our bandwidth or storage use."

It'll just make those on a slow connection hate you =P MUWAHAHAHHA

So Dave... I can upload a full, print size image and it will display it at 800? I will have to try this.. I get tired of always re-sizing my images before posting...

Yeah, Picassa is awesome.

If you download the client application to your PC and use it, it will automatically re-size your photos to 1600x1200 for viewing in Picassa. Then, of course, the thumbnail displays on the forum at 800x600.

Although, I should probably announce at this point that the new server has dramatically larger storage capacity, so there is no reason for everyone to use outside hosting of images if they prefer to upload directly to the forum. I simply continue to use Picassa because I find it much easier than manually resizing my photos on my PC and individually attaching each one to a topic. Also, it's nice to have all my knife photos in one on-line library.

Oh, while everyone should feel free to upload photos directly to the forum, please do resize them to no larger than 1024x768 out of courtesy to those with slow connections to the internet.

Cheers!

Dave

Good program for resizing and renaming and such is Irfanview, you can do it in batches. So very handy.

So. I set up the photo thing on google, couldn't help but notice it looked a little different. however after uploading a few photos i could not find anything like an embed code. can somebody either confirm it works or suggest another method of pic hosting?

I'm giving photo bucket a try.

ImageShack has worked well for me.