Home made heat treat oven

Robert Mayo

Well it is ready to plug in so i thought i would post some photos before it has that burned up look :P .

This has been a while in the making but i think it turned out pretty good and i have no doubt it will work.

I made the drop down door with counter weight like the paragon ovens. It is only 115 volt but that is due to the hydro limits in my garage.

I made it from the pdf plans that where on British Blades forum and changed a few things to suit.

Enough talk here are the pics.

Bob

oven7.jpg

oven9.jpg

oven8.jpg

oven10.jpg

geez!!! i want one!!!! how much are you selling them for ??

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

geez!!! i want one!!!! how much are you selling them for ??

I am not selling them it's just for me :P . Realy it was not hard to make if you can weld and use a pop rivet gun your good to go!

Bob

i'd say thats one of the nicest homemade ones i've seen..

was it euclid that you picked up the parts..

Greg

ps.. i've been thinking bout making a small one for doing some stainless knives

Greg

I bought my pid,t.c. and ssr from here http://www.auberins.com/ my elements came from http://www.duralite.com/

The soft 2300f brick came from http://www.capitalpotterysupplies.com/

All the rest i had around here or could be bought in town.

You can get a lot your oven parts here http://www.pshcanada.com/index.htm

Here are the plans i used i just did it my way. http://www.freewebs.com/knifemaking/HT%20FURNACE.pdf

Bob

That looks a hell of a lot better than mine, Bob! :D

I've built two now. One High temp for normalizing/hardening and one for tempering both are 120cm long and look like a tornado blew through a steel shop and a ceramic store. :blink:

I bought my PIDs, SSRs and thermocouples from Auber Instruments too, They are easy to deal with and the prices are great.

You'll love the control you get. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Marius A. Bacher

"To learn and not think over what you have learned is perfectly useless. To think without having learned is dangerous." - Gore Vidal

Thanks guys i did not get it up and running i had to wire a 20 amp receptical for it so i will get er done today pics comming.

Bob

Bob,

I agree...it doesn't have that homebrew look to it at all..... NICE JOB.... I hope it works as nice as it looks.... thanks for showing and the links of the how tobiggrin.gif

Dick

Bob,

I agree...it doesn't have that homebrew look to it at all..... NICE JOB.... I hope it works as nice as it looks.... thanks for showing and the links of the how tobiggrin.gif

Dick

Thanks Dick i just hope it works ;)

Bob

Very nicely done. Mine is functional but I cleverly disguised to discourage theft. Seriously though, When I look at mine I envision a rebuild that looks like yours.

CUSTOM KNIVES BY JL RHODES

JLRKNIVES

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

God bless you. I thank God every day for the freedom to spend time with those I love, and time to pursue this craft.

"Adversity is a test for strong men."

"What one man can do, so can another."

"NO excuses, just do better next time."

Thanks Jarret and the bonus is it works i have not brought it up to temp yet but it works ;) .

Bob

So Bob, did you go with the programmable controller for ramp/soak or the manual? I am planning on building one myself and thought that would be a nice option. Put a batch in and have a programmed annealing cycle bring your weeks work back to a true neutral before grinding and heat treat.

I must agree with Greg, Bob, that's the nicest-looking homebuilt oven I've seen. I've got to get on one (or two!) of those one of these days. Sword-length, too. B)

if you make a sword length one.. do make it a photo-story and share with us .. im sure there are many of us that would love a picture-by-picture process of a HT oven for swords :) ( i know i would :D )

-vidar-

I did not get the ramp option on mine. I will not leave it running without being there so i am the ramp/soak option ;) .

This one holds temp within 2 degrees at 1600f I am already thinking of making another longer one B) .

Bob