wrought iron nails - interested?

I'm looking into selling some wrought iron nails at $3/pound. These are cut nails and are nice wrought. I'm just looking into the interest level at this point... but tomorrow I will attach some pictures. And maybe polish and etch one. For myself, I'm using these for 'orishigane' (aristotle furnace), scrap-o-gane, and maybe shear steel. By the end of this week, I hope to have something to show for my efforts with the Aristotle furnace.

Scott,

I would think they would be great for making your steel.... you might want to change you mind about selling them..cool.gif

how many pounds are you willing to part with ???

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart,and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart...

right now I have about 150 pounds. I need some for myself too... but it's gonna depend on how much I think I can get from my source. So back at ya... how many pounds would you want?

I think these would be great fun for shear steel...Welding up a pile of blistered nails would be a real challenge! :)

I may be interested in a small box of them in the future if you still have them once shop funds are back in the black.

-d

Sounds good D... let me know. If I did blistered nails, I would probably weld them in a can or on a paddle in 'lasagna style'. My press is coming together soon... so I will be experimenting.

So looking into things, I would part with 70 pound or so right now. I can get more. Looks like that much would fit in a medium flat rate.

once I see the pictures I may be interested

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

• 1 year later...

How long are the nails on average? These things are great for period furniture repair.

The ones I got were about 4"-4.5" long I'd estimate. They worked very well in a crucible smelt or two a few weeks ago. I'll likely be needing some more Scott... :)

-d

I would still like to see some Scott. ;)

Mark

Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?

(cptn. Mal)

I found a few when I had to put in some underground fiber optics to a very old building. Also some wrought door hinges. I wanted more to see if I can't make some shear steel. Nice find.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward and I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

Hey folks... I do still have them. But I've grown quite fond of them because I use them for so many dang things.. including orishigane.

But I will let some go in small flat rate boxes. I will load up a couple today and see how much they weigh and PM the folks who are asking. So the price will be the $3/pound.. plus the $5 or so for the flat rate box.

The average length is indeed 4-5"

ahhh... I just went and weighed a small flat rate and then realized that I had already done that and posted it above. Well... they always say to measure twice and cut once right? huh?

Anyway.. based on my two measurements... 4.75 and 5.5 I can send an average of 5.125 pounds to those interested. That comes to $15.375 for the nails plus $5.35 for the small flat rate = $20.725 And I won't take a fraction of a cent less or more than that! :lol: Or will I just fill it to the point that it won't bust it's seams and I will charge $21.

I do take paypal to scott@bigrockforge.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...