wrought iron nails - interested?

I'm looking into selling some wrought iron nails at $3/pound. These are cut nails and are nice wrought. I'm just looking into the interest level at this point... but tomorrow I will attach some pictures. And maybe polish and etch one. For myself, I'm using these for 'orishigane' (aristotle furnace), scrap-o-gane, and maybe shear steel. By the end of this week, I hope to have something to show for my efforts with the Aristotle furnace.

right now I have about 150 pounds. I need some for myself too... but it's gonna depend on how much I think I can get from my source. So back at ya... how many pounds would you want?

I think these would be great fun for shear steel...Welding up a pile of blistered nails would be a real challenge! :)

I may be interested in a small box of them in the future if you still have them once shop funds are back in the black.

-d

Sounds good D... let me know. If I did blistered nails, I would probably weld them in a can or on a paddle in 'lasagna style'. My press is coming together soon... so I will be experimenting.

So looking into things, I would part with 70 pound or so right now. I can get more. Looks like that much would fit in a medium flat rate.

• 1 year later...

How long are the nails on average? These things are great for period furniture repair.

The ones I got were about 4"-4.5" long I'd estimate. They worked very well in a crucible smelt or two a few weeks ago. I'll likely be needing some more Scott... :)

-d

I found a few when I had to put in some underground fiber optics to a very old building. Also some wrought door hinges. I wanted more to see if I can't make some shear steel. Nice find.

Hey folks... I do still have them. But I've grown quite fond of them because I use them for so many dang things.. including orishigane.

But I will let some go in small flat rate boxes. I will load up a couple today and see how much they weigh and PM the folks who are asking. So the price will be the $3/pound.. plus the $5 or so for the flat rate box.

The average length is indeed 4-5"

ahhh... I just went and weighed a small flat rate and then realized that I had already done that and posted it above. Well... they always say to measure twice and cut once right? huh?

Anyway.. based on my two measurements... 4.75 and 5.5 I can send an average of 5.125 pounds to those interested. That comes to $15.375 for the nails plus $5.35 for the small flat rate = $20.725 And I won't take a fraction of a cent less or more than that! :lol: Or will I just fill it to the point that it won't bust it's seams and I will charge $21.

I do take paypal to scott@bigrockforge.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...