This hawk has a 19" oak haft made from a Home Depot 2"x2". The 8 1/2" head is hand forged from a Bush Hog blade. There are feathers a raw hide wrap grip and sinew on the haft.

As always any and all comments are welcome.

P4040001.JPG

P4040002.JPG

P4040005.JPG

very creative and beautiful. I don't know if you would want to chop a few trees with it, but it would definitely be a heck of a weapon in a melee. That and a little wood or rawhide shield and you could defend yourself against everything up to maybe spears. Maybe.

the wood is incredible considering where you started with it.

I guess the use of a burl would keep the grain from splitting? That may be a good tip for future work.

kc

Edited by Kevin (The Professor)

Nice work Wade. Couple of question for ya. First is the style tribe specific? Second is the taper from the blade to the spike constant or is there a step in it? Third if there is a step is there a structural reason for it?

Thanks

Daniel Piotte

I thank you all for the comments.

Blacklionforge, I am no expert on African tools/weapons but in my 20 plus years as a carpenter I avoided knots when there were structural concernes. Look at a wood baseball bat you will never find a knot. Although knots are very hard they create a weak spot in wood because of the surrounding grain. The swirly grain of a burl, if it is healthy, would most likely be very strong. Thanks for your reply and if I am incorrect I hope someone will chime in and set us all straight.

Kevin, I wouldn't be using this style for falling timber either, you are correct it would work well on the battlefield. If someone were coming at me with this I would be headed the other direction.

danpiotte, It is not tribe specific. There is a step with three steel pins and epoxy all for structual purpose. I dought very much that this hawk will be a user although it has a hair popping edge.

Wade

Edited by Wade Hougham