B Finnigan

Oxyhydrogen test.

I am building a two cell oxyhydrogen (HHO) generator and doing some bench testing. HHO is obtained by electrolysis, electrically separating the hydrogen and oxygen from water.

This is a 1/2 quart ziplock bag of it going off. The pic is on only one video frame, it's a very fast explosion.

ScreenHunter_08-1.jpg

Video. Turn your volume up to hear how long it echos.

Edited by B Finnigan

Awesome. Besides the obvious super-coolness of it all, why are you building this?

It makes cool torches. At least it is used that way in the jewellery trade. I have a commercial one but it would be cool to make your own. The heat you get from it is normally higher than you get from propane.

http://www.hswalsh.com/Micro_Flame_Pioneer_Hobby_.aspx?i=TS7010&c=374

I suppose you could use it for a range of things to be honest.

I will be running it on my truck to improve gas mileage. Gasoline is only 25% efficient and HHO gas increases it's efficiency. The concept I am using is a different variation of most of the systems. It's been a month long project and I have one more componet to get and it will be up and running. Right now I am bench testing it and fixing a few bugs. I have three friends that are getting very good results using oxyhydrogen. But each car must be tuned by trial and error and lots of tinkering. Newer cars must have a EFFIE or ECU chip to compensate for the increase in O2. It's not a plug N play type system. But if you're sick of high gas prices and like building and tinkering then it's for you.

Testing the smaller cell. Since the video I added four more plates

I don't want this thread to become a debate with any of the resident armchair physicists here. This is what I am doing and how I am doing it.

Over on Primal Fires I am journaling and posting pics of the whole project.

Primal Fires

And it's all on my FaceBook page also.

If you friend request me make sure you mention you're from the forums since so many of you have nyms.

Edited by B Finnigan

Brent,

You just HAD to use the baggie, didn't you?

I'll bet you drove your parents nuts when you were a kid.

Good thinking. Shows dedication to fully develop the idea. Congrats.

Bill

Edited by Bill Hoffman

Yep!:rolleyes:

And my daughter is getting to experience science in an interesting and fun way. The kind of learning that stimulates more. After the detonation I told her about the fire triangle and all the elements that make combustion.

She also likes to use my induction forge to melt non-ferrous metals to make necklace pendants. And when she has a friend over she gets to melt a rock to make lava. Good times!

My parents never let me play with molten metal or lava. That should qualify me for some type of disorder/disability that I can use as an excuse for stuff.

It's go time!!!!!!!

IMG_1126.jpg

Edited by B Finnigan

As a retired science teacher, all I can say is :D .

Way to go!!!

Bill

my concern with browns gas is turning of the flow before shutting the engine off since some of the out put can be high in water i would be worried about rust in piston like areas degrading the engine in time i think that running it for a few revs on straight gas would be sufficient to fix this concern but i haven't used it or played with it just my concerns from what i have read up on it

my concern with browns gas is turning of the flow before shutting the engine off since some of the out put can be high in water i would be worried about rust in piston like areas degrading the engine in time i think that running it for a few revs on straight gas would be sufficient to fix this concern but i haven't used it or played with it just my concerns from what i have read up on it

All of that is handled, I have spent dozens of hours learning about this. There are 3 forums devoted just to HHO that are full of lots of great info.

There are several techniques people use to dry out the gas before going into the engine. A properly tuned HHO cell will not run hot and make much vapor.

This last week I have been building a "bubbler" that serves several purposes in filtering the gas.

Flashback protection

Drying the gas

neutralizing the KOH particulates

and retaining the gas in the line when the cells are off.

It's full of diluted distilled vinegar and two stainless steel air stones (50 micron) bubble the gas up through the mixture and then inject it into the air intake. I put in a fluid level indicator so I don't have to unscrew the lid each time to check it. It also has a small stainless cap and fill spout on top to add fluid.

IMG_1760web.jpg

The exit port on the right also has a device I machined to be a splash baffle/guard. I can shake that filter with fluid in it ten times harder then any driving would produce and not a drop comes out. If anyone is doing an HHO system or will be in the future I will show you the design. The gas flows out continuously but the fluid stays in.

And the humidity from any residual gases would only be a fraction of what is in the air in so many warm and/or tropical places in the world.

Edited by B Finnigan

I'll be interested to see the results once you're done Brent. I know the quality of work that you do, and your general thoroughness, and I'm sure that will carry on to the logging of results. I've seen too may claims and half-baked systems to buy in to the Brown's gas thing yet. I'm curious what a little Finnigan style rigor will bring to the table. :)

-d

There is a very well know MS knife maker that has been running a HHO system for two years now. And two friends of mine that are both getting 20-30% improvement. So I have all the confidence that it should work for me as well. One guy is using a very outdated set up but still getting performance.

But there are plenty more people out there that do a half assed job in design or buy a very cheap system and don't install or tune, or maintain it correctly. They are the first ones to cry a river online about how they don't work.

Just like knife making, there is very solid science behind it but there are still those that just don't get it.

This is cool stuff.

You know, we're all going to be working for you some day. How do you like your coffee?

I run one on my truck,motorcycle,and forge.The addition of HHO adds 400-500F increases in temperatures.Its particularly good for doing stainless san-mais and damascus.I get a 3 mile increase in my diesel truck and 10 on the motorcycle.So many people claim these HHO's are myths but my results have been excellent.

I would have never thought about boosting a forge with HHO, that is very cool! Post some pics and more info. I toyed with the idea of running small HHO forge but just never got serious about it. And the one I have now is way too fun to ever think about replacing. I'm glad I am not the only one here playing with it.

Dan, That's OK because I would let everyone drink beer on the job and tell politically incorrect jokes. You know.........the ones we used to call funny. And I would require each desk to have at least one Jessica Alba swimsuit picture on it.

Is there a Like button for this post? Jessica Alba poster must be from Into the Blue.

Edited by Howie

I would have never thought about boosting a forge with HHO, that is very cool! Post some pics and more info. I toyed with the idea of running small HHO forge but just never got serious about it. And the one I have now is way too fun to ever think about replacing. I'm glad I am not the only one here playing with it.

Dan, That's OK because I would let everyone drink beer on the job and tell politically incorrect jokes. You know.........the ones we used to call funny. And I would require each desk to have at least one Jessica Alba swimsuit picture on it.

mmmmmmm jessica alba..

Brent,

what are you using for electricity to drive the separation? I'm wondering if a solar panel will work? I have read about solar being used to supply gas

for a fuel cells... I would think it would work for this too.....

Thanks for the show... every interesting....

I bet your daughter loves having Mr. Wizzard as dad.....Good for you!!! and good for your wife to go along with you too!!!!

Dick

The cells will be mounted under my 4Runner hood. The power will come from the battery and alternator. The HHO gas will only be made while the engine is running and uses very low pressure. That way there is no hydrogen storage or hydrogen under high pressure.

Ultimately I will get a complete hydrogen system like United Nuclear is selling. It uses hydride pellets to store the hydrogen that is made with a generator in your garage. The generator can be run by a solar panel which makes the fuel almost free.

The hydride tanks will be the safe answer for storing hydrogen. H is stored in the pellets which are hydrogen sponges. When the tanks of pellets are heated they give off the hydrogen gas. These tanks have been shot with 50 cal incediary rounds and all they do is lightly smoke. It's a safer storage system then a metal tank of gasoline.

This is a very cool system Bob has designed.

h2vett5.jpg

h999.jpg

United Nuclear hydrogen car.

Edited by B Finnigan

How do you transfer hydrogen from the point of generation to your automobile? What kind of range can you get a 4 tank system?

The hydride tanks are piped via hose to the injection port. An on board computer senses when the tanks are warm enough to start giving off the hydrogen. When the computer see's the hydrogen tapering off it will route gasoline back to the injection port and make the necessary ECU changes.

It says on the website how many miles he can get per tank. I don't remember but I know he states it for both vehicles.