10" fighting bowie in bocote

Here's an 11" blade I just finished up in CruForgeV with a stainless oval guard and bocote handle. Clip is sharp. Need to make a sheath for it now...

5662949800_549c7cbb8d_b.jpg

Comments welcome!

Thanks,

matt

Edited by Matt Gregory

I can't remember if I bought this from USAKnifemaker Supply or if I stole it while working on knives at Dan Farr's shop. I know you can order direct from Crucible steel in Texas, they have it, too. You might check with Aldo at NJ Steel Baron, too... he doesn't list it on his site, but that hardly means anything. The guy's amazing and can get anything. Patience with him right now though, as i believe there was a death in his family...

I love CruForgeV... heat treatment is simple, it's a significant improvement in edge retention and toughness compared to any of the forging steels I've used, and exhibits forging properties akin to W2. The drawback is that along with the improved wear resistance comes tougher finishing requirements. Ceramic belts after heat treat are a must, and shop rolls barely touch it.

Thanks for the comments, gang!

Matt, if YOU start finishing knives who will be in the "I don't finish a damned thing" club with me? :D

Looks good so far...Need more pics to really tell though.

-d

Edited by deker

looks good, matt. I like the shape and good fit/finish. Bocote looks good here.

Hey - does the cruforgev have chromium, too? I remember thinking about using it, but I am a sucker for steels that form good hamons.

good stuff.

kc

Specs for the steel are:

Carbon: 1.05%

Chromium: .5%

Vanadium: .75%

Managanese: .75%

The amount of manganese makes this a through-hardening steel. I think you'd be hard pressed to get any sort of activity out of it. Probably best to stick the the W steels or 10 steels for that stuff!

You can see the heat treat specs for the steel here:

Crucible CruForgeV Spec Sheet

• 2 weeks later...

Carbon: 1.05%

Chromium: .5%

Vanadium: .75%

Managanese: .75%

Hey Matt,

Not bad for a Buffalo Man. Are these the Certs. for "The Batch" that was made or the overall Specs for the steel are:

Edited by Aldo

ALDO BRUNO!! I love you, you beautiful thing of a man, you...

Pretty sure that those were the certs of the original batch, my friend. Also should be the published specs, too. Do you know differently?

Just seem to remember 1 alloy being .8 something. May be it was the Vanadium being a little higher on the Certs then the published Specs. Specs. are Specs. The Certs. change slightly from batch to batch. I'm not sure if there will be another batch, but there is plenty to be had from he 1st pour.

Finally got around to making a sheath for this one... fought like hell to decide if it should be a complimentary color to the wood, but decided that there's just too much yellow there to make me happy, and tan wasn't cutting it. I think the full black brings out the dark tones and blacks in the wood.

5673364846_b16db10cf2_b.jpg

Thanks for all the comments throughout this thread, everyone!