I deserve to be whipped

I just burned off 8" of 25 layer bloomery steel/iron square ready for twisting,the damned stuff is too hard earned to burn , bad boy . I wondered out of the forge all happy and content ...........sparkle sparkle sparkle!!!

If it were olden times I would tie me to a post and give me a good thrashing or better still make me dig ore for a week ..

hey ho.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skip's right, check the bottom of the fire.

Different material but I was working wrought in the coal forge and end of day I cleaned the clinker out and there was ALOT of magnetic stuff in the bottom.

Whipped? Naw,

You were just demonstrating how the Oroshigane process was discovered.

Any goodies in the bottom of the hearth???

talk about a silver lining I shall look!!

Every year I go to Peter's Valley to teach a black/bladesmithing class I burn something in the coal. :(

Nothing so nice as what you had, Owen. Bummer.

Gas is really nice to get used to!

Edited by J.Arthur Loose

Owen,

I have a friend who is a blacksmith and he related to me the story of The Bad Apprentice. To make a long story short, the apprentice's punishment was to wear a sign for a week. The sign read:

"I burned down my masters shop... Twice."

Looking at this from a more positive viewpoint, at least your shop is still standing! Everything is relative, given a few years to look back on this you will probably just laugh it off.

~Bruce~

poop :(

this is exactly why they invented scape goats... Colin.

your rite it prolly "is" Colins fault.........I am feeling better and better about this .

poop :(

this is exactly why they invented scape goats... Colin.

Yah! Thanks Jake :angry:

I guess after my masterful stick throwing demonstration you had to wait till you were on another continent to suggest such a thing, you bad Jake you! :P

Yah well I dunno anyone else who burned things in a coke fire. :rolleyes:

There's a story in that "masterful stick throwing" comment, I just know it. :D

I'll leave that one to Jake, suffice to say, I was quite drunk ;)

you're like a cross between Rambo and... a pirate. B):D

What's this thing about pirates and the inhibition of steel production? :huh: I feel left out :angry:

Haha, what? No, see, in Jeff's thread on ancient steel production, someone kept saying that henrey Bessemer killed all the pirates and thats what made mass produced steel possible, and now Colin is a pirate for burning Owen's steel? Clearly pirates are doing something to impede steel production. :P ........

At least thats what I got out of it, you guys are confusing me :wacko::unsure:

No no, Colin has always been a pirate, he just thought he was a ninja. Jake fixed 'im.

Pirates have nothing to do with steel, wrong thread, which is what I meant... :huh:

Next time Owen has a to-do at his place, go. (it is truly worth a year's savings!) You'll understand. Or at least you'll meet Colin, and then you'll understand. Or you'll meet a pirate who wants to be a ninja, and if it's not John-John THEN you'll understand...unless you have a ninja cab driver who thought he was a pirate until he drove us from Woolwich Arsenal to Welling, when he discoveed he was a ninja afer all, then you'll finally get it. Maybe...

So, are you a pirate or are you a ninja? :ph34r:

;)