Sign in to follow this  
David D.

Our work in the movie THOR - the Sword of Heimdall

After a year of waiting and months of work, we are finally allowed to share our work on Marvel Comic's new movie THOR...

The Sword of Heimdall:

Check out the page on our website featuring the sword in detail

homeshot.jpg

swrd2.jpg

the films trailer:

Given our age and our limited amount of experience thus far; this obviously has been the most challenging but rewarding project we've ever worked on in our lives to date...

It was November of 09 when the props team under direction of Kenneth Branagh in LA called us inquiring if we'd be interested in joining their creative team.

This was in the peak of our college year amidst the stress of daily life, classes, and commitments to our family's & friends. So it was an offer so out of the blue and unexpected that we were obviously floored beyond belief...

The the props team who contacted us was a team that is world renown in their industry. So for them to go out of their way to contact us two random kids, who worked on dinky bladesmithing projects in a barn on the weekends was a blessing that's been overwhelming, both then and now.

This project obviously pushed us to limits we never even thought we would try to push. And it forced us into growing and working at a speed and level of dedication we never would have been able to reach on out of our own efforts.

But in the end we quite literally owe all of you guys the biggest thank you's of all... Thank you's for being a bedrock of constant encouragement and motivation, being a group of much wiser experienced guys. I dont think a more inspiring group of gents could be found in any other craft on the planet... So truly Thank you.

A big specific thanks to Ric Furrer. Being one of the first guys I called when we started shaking in our boots out of fear, not knowing what the heck we'd gotten ourselves into... haha

He could not have been more encouraging and helpful at a practical "get it done and do it well" level.

Also Dave Stephens for being constant kick ass motivation in terms of life and work ethic, and for being so patient on us waiting for Ealdric, our collab project to get finished after while we were busy with this sword... ;)

And Ben Potter. For quite literally being a brother in arms to Andy and I both in life and in craft. Especially during the time of working on this project...

Ben and his wife are in town right now for Andy's wedding to his long time fiance tomorrow! And spending time with them this week has only made us appreciate him & his quality as a man all the more.

We're happy to finally share the finished results with you guys. And seriously hope you feel included in the work we did, even if it was a very small element of this huge film. :)

Well then - CONGRATULATIONS! This is a serious accomplishment my young friend. I am very happy for you guys. It is good to see dedication and artistry recognized, and I am glad they did not just cut all the swords out with cnc's or waterjets or whatever the heck the most modern gizmo is.

Beautiful work, of course. Way to go!

Now I have an excuse to go see the movie,,,,, :D Its been cool to see you twos work over the last couple years, sweet project!

what an incredible opportunity.

great job.

nice one guys , I hope they paid you well . this could open doors for you .

I recognised the sword immediately .

and

I like the film!!

Dang, that's awesome, the sword, and the opportunity. Had been wondering if I would see the movie when it came out, the answer is yes! I just hope they have a nice closeup scene with the sword.

(I can imagine me at the theatre, "HEY, pause it, right there, check out that sword! I vaguely know the guys who made it! Yeah!" I'd get kicked out :lol: )

the madd ones,

anyone who clicked on you first post could see it coming.smile.gif

congrats on keeping it together during so many other things going on in your life...

Looks like a cool movie and it looks like the movie was created thru your sword... the movie trailer has the same kind flavor as your work... the movie guys must have seen that in you work

If you were over whelmed during all this just wait till the movie comes out.... Your in big trouble nowcool.gif

keep you feet on the ground and hold on!!!!

Dick

Congratulations on everything, guys. B)

Have a great weekend, and a wedding party worthy of Asgard! :D

And like Dick said, yeah, we could see it coming. ;)

Congratulations Guys ! I too hope this opens doors for you. I'll have to see this movie now.

Now I have a reason to see the movie :D

EPIC!

'nuff said!

One word.......DAMN.......outstanding job guys watched it last night DAMN

Push hard on this guys...you did the work now push hard to get the word out and sell off the growing wave. Call the prop dept again and see what they want you to do next.

AND

now I guess I need to get to the big city and find a movie theatre.

Ric

very cool, I'll have to go see the movie now! Did you have to make duplicates for the movie? I'm really happy for you guys, good job.

This is awesome.. what a dream moment.

Without a TV, I had no idea this movie even existed... can't wait to see it.

Great work guys. I loved seeing the sword on the sreen last night. and Congrats to Andy

Congratulations guys! I saw the movie yesterday and I thought there was something familiar about some of the design elements in that sword. For those of you who haven't seen the film yet all I can say is that that sword allmost gets as much camera time as Mjølnr, Thor's hammer. ;)

Way to go guys. You going to go Hollywood on us now? Couldn't happen to better men. But it still won't get me in to see the movie; not my cup of tea.

Doug

Edited by Doug Lester

Outstanding job. You guys outdid yourselves, and are an inspiration to anyone beginning the craft. It doesn't take decades of experience to gain success, but rather vision and drive, and you've demonstrated your quality admirably.

I suppose we need to nod to Tony who, as I understand it, did many of the other fabrications in the film, but for your first big project, I say BRAVO, sirs.

Exactly what I was thinking Kevin, A BIG surprise that it wasn't a water-jet job. Nobody deserves it more than you two guys congratulations on a job extremely well done.

Congratulations on a job well done you guys! You've certainly risen to the task and produced an amazing piece.

I'll have to see the movie now... ;)

-d

Wow, what a great story!

I can't say that I didn't see it coming, though, as you two have created more than just knives and swords. Through your artwork, you have created a niche for yourselves that no other knifemaker ever has. You've literally created a universe around yourselves that sells more than just another blade.

Congratulations, gentlemen. I couldn't be happier for you guys and look forward to seeing more of your work as your star climbs through the heavens.

congratulations guys!!! I knew you were making a sword for a movie, but THOR?? thats just amazing, this has got to be the best work ive seen from you guys, the sword is beautiful. keep up the great work guys

Eric

Congrats guys, that's super cool. Love the sword love the movie. If I had known sooner I would have looked at the sword with different eyes.

Marcel

Sign in to follow this