Persian Dagger Question?

I have an order for a traditional Persian dagger and would like your input. From the research that I have been able to find on line, it appears that many of the antique daggers have a hollow ground blade. My question is: "Is a hollow ground blade traditional or would a flat grind be just as appropriate?"

Also, what length blade and damascus pattern would you say would work best for a traditional Persian (wootz is a little beyond my capabilities)?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey

Not strictly "Persian", but there are some good ones to see here:

http://www.doorcountyforgeworks.com/Blog/Entries/2010/5/25_Indian_Daggers.html

As Jeroen says..they come in many styles....which are you trying to make?

Ric

I've seen jambiyas that look like they're hollow ground (on a larger wheel) & others that look flat ground

Personally, on such a thin profile blade, unless you've got a large wheel, you'd prolly be forgiven for going flat, imo ;)

The word Jambiya is arabic for "dagger." Jambiya are further broken down into the culture that they originate from. The Yemeni ones tend to be very broad and heavy with a pronounced bend. The Turkish/Kurdish ones are more slender and the curve occurs over a larger section of the blade. Wahabite Jambiya are huge, short sword sized. Also, one hallmark of this style of blade is a raised rib that can look remarkably like a fuller in photographs. Google's image search can provide you with a lot of information (some of it conflicting!) pretty quickly.

A very high layer pattern, something that looks wootzy, would be great.

~Bruce~

Hi Gary

do you have pic's of the hollow ground blades that were Persian ? from what i've seen, it is typical that they are sort of flat with a central raised rib on the " xanjar " ( the curved cresent shape, double edged blade )

- there are also other Persian dags ( I think your talking about xanjar ???) .. eg Kard,pisqabz

the xanjar are usually around 35 to 37cm in total length, 11 to 12cm handle length, width at forte about 5.4 to 4.4cm

- these are much slimmer dags that the Arab jambiya

-many have reinforced tip

http://persiankhandjar.blogspot.com/

there is a small vid of an Arabic dag being made on youtube.. but remember this is only an example of the mid rib being forged... Persian blades have a very distinct look from these jambiya

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXpDjvuj9f4

Good luck on project ...

Greg

I have an order for a traditional Persian dagger and would like your input. From the research that I have been able to find on line, it appears that many of the antique daggers have a hollow ground blade. My question is: "Is a hollow ground blade traditional or would a flat grind be just as appropriate?"

Also, what length blade and damascus pattern would you say would work best for a traditional Persian (wootz is a little beyond my capabilities)?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Thanks for all of the replies. I have some research material on order but it may be a while before I get it and what I have found so far on line was pretty generic & broad.

I don't have the pics that I saw and it's possible that the photography may have made a flat ground w/center rib look hollow ground. I will explore it further.

I think that you may be right saying a high layer pattern may look good as it would have more of a wootz look.

Thanks again for the help. I'll try to keep you in the loop as the project progresses.